IKEA LED Lighting

cpfc

Anyone know how these would go lighting a 2 footer?

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10119409

good to know

Transformer electronic, fixed plug-in.

Fixing screws and double-sided tape included.

Cord length from plug to transformer 3.5 m, from transformer to lamp 3.5 m.

Energy consumption: 3.4W.

Colour temperature; warm white (3000 Kelvin).

LED life time approx. 25.000 hours.

Integrated light source.

You are right in that they are aimed at small areas where traditional lighting would present a fire risk.

The two questions are around the power and the colour temp. LED lighting seems to be an area under fast development with lots of potential. I have looked at the price of aquarium lighting and been quite shocked. I also saw the Guppies lighting but there is something not right about them.

I had a similar light for a while, didn't have 4 strips though, only one. Didn't do much for a tank. It's my understanding that they are meant for pantry lighting etc.

I don't know much about led. Like I said the one I owned was similar, but with only one strip and was pretty pathetic. It was on a 2ft tank. I think if there was 4 strips it would do the job sufficiently. After I got rid of it I just modified a desk lamp and put a bright energy saver in it an it worked surprisingly well. Looked pretty ordinary sitting on the tank but that didn't worry me as it wasn't a display tank.

I think the lights that the marine guys are using are 3w per globe and these are 3.4w for the whole lot. I doubt they would be any good for aquariums.

Josh

I might pop up the local lighting shop and see what they have. our Amazon Sword is sprouting babies which I want to grow and flog. I also want to grow stuff for nano planted aquaria and sell.

I don't know much about led. Like I said the one I owned was similar, but with only one strip and was pretty pathetic. It was on a 2ft tank. I think if there was 4 strips it would do the job sufficiently. After I got rid of it I just modified a desk lamp and put a bright energy saver in it an it worked surprisingly well. Looked pretty ordinary sitting on the tank but that didn't worry me as it wasn't a display tank.

Archived