Royal Whiptails

Adam_J

Not really seen big ones of these for sale , 1 ad I came across online said $200 for a breeding pair the female was 14cm so yours are a fair bit bigger. A lfs offered my nephew $200 for a male about 20cm. Another add online was selling 7cm for $40 each.

Not sure if this helps but might give a bit of an idea.

Not really seen big ones of these for sale , 1 ad I came across online said $200 for a breeding pair the female was 14cm so yours are a fair bit bigger. A lfs offered my nephew $200 for a male about 20cm. Another add online was selling 7cm for $40 each.

Not sure if this helps but might give a bit of an idea.

cheers , the price for the breeding trio is $150. , they have had 3 lays... but he's never at home to look after them and keeps losing the fry...

i think i may just take up his offer.

thanks for your help.

Sounds fair to me , they sell them small for about 25 or 30 bucks ay aquariums. I have 2 males and 1 female ,she lays like clock work every 2 weeks. The bubs are extremely hard to raise , good luck , they have almost done my head in I have 4 bubs at about 3cm from 4 batches of about 50 eggs. All the best Pat

Pat your not wrong about raising being harder than breeding on these

the fry are lazy feeders and don't seem to search out food like most other

Loricadae

I have found that Sturisoma like to spawn in a current flow area, mine

liked the area under the HOB filter return

they need to be able to constantly graze without having to search so

cultivating algae is the best method (IMO) on glass plates or flat river

pebbles/stones that can be left with the fry and then placed back in a

culturing tank to regrow

to me this is the only way to have food available for long periods without

polluting the water, by cultivating algae

the other thing I feel is required is a sponge filter to supply gut fauna for

good intestinal bacteria and also to supply micro organisms like rotifers

something breeders of Aust natives know about and create a "green soup"

to use when raising fry of rainbows and associated species

seasoned timber should also be available for the fry to rasp over

I also think pre conditioned water should be available and used as often as

possible for 10 - 20% water changes

remember none of this may apply to how your fish behave but this may help

if you are having problems

Chris

Yep thanks for the info , I currently have a 3 foot tank which is in the shed window and has heaps of algae growing in it , thats the next step in my efforts .The 5 little ones I have are now in this tank (for 2 weeks) and seem to have good poo trailers hanging from them so i assume its working they are about 4cm now. The tank has some anubias on wood for them as well which gives them some timber.

I seemed to have some luck last time with moving the fry to the fry saver and floating some lettuce in the saver. I am planning on moving the next batch straight to the algae tank and see how they go, its actualy quite refreshing having a tank which requires not much more than a 20% water change each week and looks like absolute crap. Thx again Pat.

Picked my trio up today!

these fish have been well looked after and are very big , alot bigger than i expected.i think they'd be closer to 25cm.

they have seemed to settle into their new home well so far , i have to get some plants for the tank , but i have some good timber in there at the moment.

Thats some big royals. I have only seen long nose that size before. I have raised long nose and royal fry by mixing crushed nls wafers with egg white and painting it onto small rocks, then once it has dried I add it to the fry saver with them. I went from raising around 10 per batch to over 80 per batch with the long nose and about 40-50 with the royals.

Cheers,

Brett

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

please dont shoot me down if these ARE NOT royals.... i'm only new to the tropical game

lol,

these are longnose whiptails if i am correct not royal's,

i have been ripped off... ffs..

my wife is going to kill me

Hey mate, $150 for a breeding trio of long nose is still quite good. Here is some good info on them:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=102

All the Sturisoma are here :thumbup:

I learnt the hard way not to keep them together as they will hybridise, interesting young but worthless to sell and no good for the gene pool :B

Hey mate, $150 for a breeding trio of long nose is still quite good. Here is some good info on them:

I learnt the hard way not to keep them together as they will hybridise, interesting young but worthless to sell and no good for the gene pool :B

your words have put a smile back on my face.... i was worried i'd just paid $150 for $5. fish

your words have put a smile back on my face.... i was worried i'd just paid $150 for $5. fish

they are not $5 fish,

$150 is still very good for the trio,

probably make your money back in one go if they breed

Archived