Planning for a 5x2x2 or 6x2x2 SA Cichlid Tank

curviceps

G'day

I'm in the planning stages of setting up either a 5x2x2 or 6x2x2 tank.

I'm currently growing out a bunch of green terror juvies. I will either select a single male for the new large tank, or a pair.

I also have 4 x spotted metynnis and 3 x clown loaches, also juvies at this stage.

Would appreciate your inputs as to what other tank mates (in addition to the metynnis and clown loaches) you would recommend for a) the single male, or b) the pair?

I am looking especially for what other cichlids I could keep with the GT(s). The metynnis and cloan loaches ideally would go in the tank as well, but I have the option of keeping them in a separate tank if need be.

cheers

Tim

I havent kept these at all but had a bit of a look on google to see what info I could find. just from the articles I read it seems most have kept Red Devils, convict cichlids, Kack Dempsey and even Green Severum. The severum was a bit of a surprise as I have a juvenile in my 4x2x2 SA and it seems fairly placid (could all change later of course!).

I only know most of these from pics and reading so its just info I found :-)

With big aggro cichlid display tank single males are probably better as when spawning takes place all hell breaks loose.Probably better to avoid the Guapotes (Parachromis +-petina)as they may be very aggressive and can kill all the rest of their tank mates(my jaguar for example :cryblow: )

Id probably avoid severums as they are very placid for a large cichlid

Try and match ultimate size(convicts for example may eventually be eaten)

Otherwise it depends what is available and then do your research on that species

• 1 month later...

At this stage, I'm thinking 1x male GT, 1x male Jack Dempsey, 1x male Salvini and Convict(s).

Since female Convicts seem to be more colourful, I was wondering if I could get 2 or 3 female convicts to share the tank with the above male cichlids.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Tim

Archived