8 Fry (4 days old) When can I do a water change?

Bedge

Hi Guys!

I have some 'kids' in the net. They are only a few days old. When is it safe for me to do a water change, with out causing them much harm?

Previous experience has taught me early water changes will kill them off swiftly!

hello and congrats :)

i tend to wait 2 weeks and then do weekly water changes of 10% till i feel its safe ? 6weeks to do a bigger one of about 30% every month

it depends on your load of waste and filtration meaning if dont ned to then dont but after 2 weeks small water changes are fine bigger ones after 6 or so weeks

After the fry have settled in (5-7 days) I start doing small water changes (10-15%) every two days. I've never had a problem with fry deaths doing it this way. It helps them to grow, just make sure the water you change with has been treated appropriately so there is no chemical or temp fluctuations.

Works for me.

I do my changes very slow for the fry. I use an air line tube and let it drip in. The water is pre heated and pre salted consistently. So far my water changes have not killed fry. I think the critical part is being measured and frequent with feeding.

When i strip fry from parents i put them straight into a different tank and i don't tend to lose any at all. So as for being worried about water changes you should not have a problem. Just keep the temp of the new water close to the tank temp and you should be fine

Hi! Thanks for the replies!

I only have one display tank .. I only grab fry if I see them .. other wise, I will end up very over croweded.

I did a tiny water change last night and the 'kids' are still rocking. yay!

Archived