G'day - My First Tank

ismcsquared

Hi All,

This is my first post as I have only recently discovered these amazing fish... and can I just say, I am hooked.

I have had a Pearl and a Rivilatus for some time now without knowing it. When they outgrew their small tanks (they had to be separated) I decided to get a 3ft tank ended up with a Red Devil (15-20cm), 3 More Pearls and 2 more Green Terrors. I quickly realized that a 3 ft tank was not going to suffice for very long.. The Rivilatus' are now in a separate tank as they were picking on each other and were also bullied by the dominant Pearl. They seem happy enough in their own tank now, as do the pearls and red devil.

Here are some photos :-

The Tank

IPB Image

Poko - Red Devil 15-20cm

IPB Image

IPB Image

Smaller Pearl 7-10cm

IPB Image

Biggest Pearl 16-18cm

IPB Image

Rivilatus [Green Terror]

IPB Image

The Rivilatus just seem to clash with the Pearls.. at least, my dominant Pearl. They just don't know when to give up and kept pestering him. Has anyone ever kept these two fish together successfully? I understand Pearls are fairly common in aquariums. What are peoples experiences of them.. i love them!

I am also wondering about the sex of the red devil. can anyone help me out? what am I looking for? He/she doesn't seem at all bothered with the other fish, would that be a female trait?

Cheers all,

Bye for now

Nice looking setup and fish, I like the modern decorations as well as the natural look others have in their setups. I saw my first rivilatus a few weeks ago in the lfs and even there they looked great, love the irridescent flashes.

welcome to the world of cichlids. they are very addictice. your tank looks great..... lets see how long you take to get another, bigger, one :lol1:

haha yes I am certain it will not be long. thanks for the comments guys.

yeah the red devil seems pretty chilled {most of the time} but occasionally gives the others a good fright.. just to let them know he could bite them in half if he wanted to. In the last 2 days I have noticed a thin black streak in top of his top fin (about 1cm long). The dark colour has grown and now covers 2 'spines' i guess you would say. i have googled it and have read that this could just be his colour morphing and that sometimes red devils get black tipped fins.. so I am pretty sure that it is and not a parasite. There is a photo below, what do you think? Has anyone seen this?

(The little patch of black on the top-right of his top fin)

IPB Image

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Archived