Filter Clean out

Jackos80

Well I hadn't clean my filter out for a while, Aqua one 1200 canister filter I had been using on my breeding setup. Now connected to my 6 foot, started to clean it out and noticed a few wiggling in the water. Did a full clean out and found 8 common bristle nose in it. Had been living in there for two months at least.

Chucked them in one of my tanks and they looked okay.

Quite surprised myself and how rugged they are.

Well I hadn't clean my filter out for a while, Aqua one 1200 canister filter I had been using on my breeding setup. Now connected to my 6 foot, started to clean it out and noticed a few wiggling in the water. Did a full clean out and found 8 common bristle nose in it. Had been living in there for two months at least.

Chucked them in one of my tanks and they looked okay.

Quite surprised myself and how rugged they are.

What the hell,

can the possibly survive for 2 months in there!!!!! Wonder what they were eating and the amount of sunlight getting through,

How quick do bn fries grow, the pair i got of you had around 50 eggs now it looks like 70, they are growing extremely fast, they are now 1.5cm and found 4 albinos and a couple of LF juvies well 3,

I've only been feeding them zuchinis and peas and they are in a small fry trap with a air stone, any more advice?

Sounds good just make sure they are big enough when you move them out 3cm minimum. You can give them some algae discs as well, just not to many as you don't want it to build up in your fry saver. They will take around 2-3 months to get to sell able size of 3cm+.

I think the ones in the filter were my last batch of fry to grow up so they were tiny. They are now around 3cm size to them.

In theory uneaten food goes through a filter and the baby BNs could survive on that and the infusoria in there. Ours hatched in the community tank and it is survival of the fittest and fastest. They are eating the algae in there as well as zuchini, peas along with any leftovers from the other. Hikari, LFS grow and algae wafers.

I think the major issue will be the poop from them and keeping water good. Then to catch them to sell as they are quick.

Yeah that was the only problem catching them. I ended up just making a fry tank and letting them loose. When it came time I would just suck them off the parents by a decent width hose and then stick them in a fry tank.

I remember pulling out drift wood when a buyer would come over. Leg-It will remember and had to watch the drift wood as there would be heaps of fry coming out of it. Suckers were everywhere. I ended up selling a four foot full of fry for a little amount.

Yeah that was the only problem catching them. I ended up just making a fry tank and letting them loose. When it came time I would just suck them off the parents by a decent width hose and then stick them in a fry tank.

I remember pulling out drift wood when a buyer would come over. Leg-It will remember and had to watch the drift wood as there would be heaps of fry coming out of it. Suckers were everywhere. I ended up selling a four foot full of fry for a little amount.

i sure remember, jack had do constantly keep moving the Dw up and down in the water and hundreds and when i mean hundreds possibly thousand in the tank came off, and even when he took it out heaps fell on the ground, i ended picking them up :lol1:

To whoever bought all of the fry got one of the best deals out, even in his breeding tanks there were plenty of them

I will let the wife know. Talking to her about selling fry is like talking about selling your own kids. Maybe syphoning them into a bucket is the go!

Just talking about this makes me want to get back into it faster. Ohh well only another 8 months and I should be good all tanks are getting stopped in September at my house only the two left. Will be moving to Perth at end of year but I won't be here and I get back start of the next year. But the plans I have will be good and the budget will be very fat to get started. Just want to get breeders to start with and grow my colonies up again as well.

I have convinced the missus that the racks couchy is selling will be best this will give me plenty of options as well. 8 foot long and two foot wide. Two levels so there will be two six foots and possibly some 2 foots side on for a grow out and a L number tank.

The plan is peppermints, orange spot, albino and commons and would like to setup for some L333s. Its going to cost a fortune but want to make it perfect this time. The biggest killer with my old setup was power bills, so this time insulation will be a big factor in planning.

The missus was more keen seeing the dollars come in and put ready for the power bills than worried about fry going out the door.

Good one. had this happen myself, tough buggers those B/nose.You explain why they can live in a filter as well.Yes the old power bill will drive a lot of fish keepers away & is to get worse in the next year.Just as well my fishroom is built from coolroom pannels & never above 30dec never below 17dec without heating.Good seal on the door makes it allgood.

Good one. had this happen myself, tough buggers those B/nose.You explain why they can live in a filter as well.Yes the old power bill will drive a lot of fish keepers away & is to get worse in the next year.Just as well my fishroom is built from coolroom pannels & never above 30dec never below 17dec without heating.Good seal on the door makes it allgood.

i wonder how big it is ? :)

cool rooms cost a fortune <_< even seconds

or do you rent :yes:

One of my mates wants to get into a fish room business when I get over there. If I buy a place over there then one will be going in straight away. But renting so have to do with just small setups for now.

I reckon there should be a site in here for breeding setups though.

Jack

Archived