Decor remodeling 6 foot fronts tank

Priscacara

Hi, a few weeks back I lost a frontosa when it panicked and ploughed into a rock. I got great help from people on the forums and I've finished doing part 1 of a remodelling of the decor so posting the pics as promised.

I dont like huge mounds of rocks, I'm paranoid about glass breakage if they fall, so I did a hi rise apartment block for them from pvc. I know it doesnt look natural or anything but its sturdy, doesnt affect my water and lets me get a bit more sleep at night :no: . I also did some rock piles and added in a pot I used for lionhead spawns...................surprisingly none of my julies have claimed it yet. Within 5 minutes my lionhead had claimed one of the gaps in the middle of the pipes and the fronties all tried them out for size so I think it passed their tests. One of the other suggestions was getting a backing on it so I went the cheap option of run of the mill background stuck on with tape. The overall look of the tank has changed now and I'm quite happy with it, next project will be something for the other end. The tank looks a bit darker now , to be expected with more dark rocks and no reflection from the walls..........eventually I might look into new tubes or a T5 setup. Tx to those who offered advice, its always appreciated.

Before

IPB Image

After

IPB Image

There is nothing wrong with that setup mate i have used black plastic pots as hides in the past especially in tanks with thin bottom glass. I just weighed them down with sinkers/rocks. cut holes in them and spawned loads of fish. Just use a pot size that is in relation to the size of the fish. There is no weight and are easily cleaned and steralised. you can stack them like an artificial reef and the fish dont seem to know/care about the diferance. :clap

I have been going through the same process as yourself and trying to find what works. My current iteration is two piles of rocks with some hidden terracotta pots with holes drilled on the side. I am nearly there but the fish have grown my copadachromis borleyi kadanga has grown and needs a bigger cave. I have also found that too much of a labyrinth means one cave for an over dominant peacock or afra.

Basically I need all sorts of sized caves. I am also finding bristlnose breeding caves good whilst most of my fish are small. The other thing that works is a mass of vall on one side that acts as a refuge. It is not used much but good for the fish of a nervous disposition.

Good luck with the experiments and let us know what works

Tx for the info and comments, I had looked at pots as 1 idea for caves and might give them a try down the other end.

Kadangos are open substrate spawners but in saying that they have spawned in cave type things for me.

If you are going to use pots , use lots . 4-8in pots work well and a combo of squats and normals on their side and some top to bottom with holes cut. I used to have a pyramid of 15 6in pots as a fake rock pyramid. 9 on the bottom and work it out from there. It worked well but every pot was cut so it had axs to the next. Fish could move through and take up teretory.

My biggest fish are the blue dolphins which only go hide now and then the rest of the time they are free swimming, the fronts are various sizes and all have been in the pvc and the larger rock area I made. The smaller fish like the lemons and julies have been having a ball though, all those little nooks to explore! A female lemon has taken up house in the pot to the front left, wont be surprised to see a spawn in the next few days. The dolphins are just voyeurs, I'm sure they wait for a water change so they can show off :-).

C. moori are a sand/detritus sifter so open swim space rather than cave structures

and a sand substrate :thumb

great tank mates for F. rostratus

Frontosa accept pipes , pots and rock structure the main things are enough for everyone

plus one more, make sure structures are stable and sized to suit the fish

vall is under rated plant that can be kept out side in tubs and harvested if the tank plants

get eaten or look torn

you can use it to hide the pipes and pots when blended with rock work

it all comes down to the fish & you being happy with the tank

just depends on a happy medium between display and breeding

Chris

Tx again fo the replies! A bit of an update, everything seems to have worked quite well with the only exception being my largest male Julie has all the signs of being picked on. He lost his territory in the front left where the pot is now but with all the other spots I never figured it would be a problem. The female and second largest male have paired off so I'm assuming that could be part of the problem too. The pot has been taken over by a female lemon and given how often these guys have been spawning I wouldnt be too surprised to have another batch in the pot soon. I dont take any young or eggs out of the tank and so far no survivors but thats ok I dont want a flood of juvies in the tank.

Archived