Water chemistry

sam w

Hi,

House tap water has a reading for both ammonia and nitrite between 0-0.25ppm (not zero though) is this normal? Is it safe for water changes? If not is there something I can do?

tap water must be treated prior to putting into your aquarium. it not only contains ammonia but other nasties like chlorine. best to use something like seachem prime.

cheers, I use something to get rid of chlorine and metals. Do standard water treaters do the same or is that one better?

tap water must be treated prior to putting into your aquarium. it not only contains ammonia but other nasties like chlorine. best to use something like seachem prime.

cheers, I use something to get rid of chlorine and metals. Do standard water treaters do the same or is that one better?

Just read up myself it appears they dont all do the same

sam others may be able to help with your other treatments if you specify what you use. personally i use prime cos it was recommended to me by most people i spoke to and it seems to do the job. there are loads of others though. i also add a bit of salt to every water change.

Nitrite in tap water is not something I have seen. Small amounts of ammonia is something I have seen. Seachem Prime is the conditioner I use.

What is your reading after adding conditioner?

Hi,

House tap water has a reading for both ammonia and nitrite between 0-0.25ppm (not zero though) is this normal? Is it safe for water changes? If not is there something I can do?

Nitrite in tap water is not something I have seen. Small amounts of ammonia is something I have seen. Seachem Prime is the conditioner I use.

What is your reading after adding conditioner?

Hi,

mmm good point there I will check tonight, just spent 30 dollars on some seachem so I will be able to compare

I used to live in an area where I had very poor water conditions from the tap. I used to age water for a week in a large water container. Along with the normal water conditioner I would pump a lot of air into it to help break down chlorine. It became part of my routine and it minimized issues. We did the same thing on a larger scale at the LFS I use to help out. We aerated and aged water in large plastic drums a week before we used it. We simply vacuumed water out then pumped it back in from the drums. I have heard of some people that age water for a fortnight.

This may help.

Ant

Archived