Geophagus C/V's

Chui

Hi all,

I acquired a pair of these a few days ago (pics will follow shortly). Eternal thanks to Sluggo. What a champion. :clap

Short of it is, this morning they spawned in a 6X2X2. :thumbup:

They are in there alone except for a couple of Apistos and some catfish.

Since the egg laying finished, the male will not give the female a moments peace. He is constantly nipping at her sides, and travels the full length of the tank to do so. At times she is moving to the top of the tank to escape the attention

Can anyone with experience in these (or similar) tell me if he needs target fish to spread the attention around? Will he continue to do this to her detriment? Is this common?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers,

Chui

congrats on the spawn

sorry i cant help with your question but i do know howgood it feels to buy fish pair/group only to provide them with there perfect enviroment and quality food to see them breed within days of purchase!

keep up the good work!

Foti,

I seen the picture of the pair off the main page, in the member albums, very nice looking fish, congrats hopefully you can spread the good quality fry too.

Cheers Mark~

Hi Chui

Got your PM....

If he is hassling her too much then she can raise them on her own. It's best to leave him with her this time to see if he settles down. Have they bred before? if not he might just need to learn that the eggs will turn into fry. He still might think he needs to spawn with her so that's why he's hassling her.

when i bred rio brancos i found that the male learned to settle down after spawning. After she picked up the egg (24-48hrs) he would sometimes hassle her a bit but generally ended up sharing the mouth brooding stage.

Once i snatched the schooling fry (day 2 or 3 of parents letting the free swimming fry school outside mouth for a bit) i would always put a divider in so that the male would leave her alone for a while. if i didn't he would want to spawn again almost straight away. i would separate them for about 2 weeks then put them back together. They would spawn again within a week.

The female needs time to fatten up again after each spawn because she eats very little while mouth brooding.

Hope that helps

forgot to mention that after the 2 week separation they would put on an amazing show when reunited!

darting around and flaring up for eachother. really amazing to watch

i think the separation is good for them

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments, the picture posting, and the PM's.

I've been away for a while, and came back to find no fry. Them's the breaks I guess. It would have been nice to be here and see what went on. Just bad timing.

He is not nearly as agro now.

At least I know they are capable of the first part of breeding, and hopefully it's a first timers problem.

Stay tuned :)

Cheers,

Chui

Archived