Can fry get bloat

cpfc

I have left the Mrs in charge of feeding the babies. 15 -20 Rubins reds and 2 Afra Cobues. Baby Brine Shrimp goes down well. She decided to feed the afras some blood worm which they loved. I want them on NLS grow but no one can eat them at the moment despite my efforts at grinding.

Can the fry bloat from blood worms?

What do you feed them?

What is a good quality flake to crush?

The babies keep her on board with the fish and am happy to let her look after the fry. I would have let mothers spit.

I'd be feeding them the baby brine shrimp and keep trying with the spectrum. I've never had problems with any of my fry eating spectrum from day one, so keep trying with those two.

I'd be careful with the bloodworms though. If the "Rubin reds" you refer to are Peacocks then they should be ok with it but I wouldn't give it to the Afras, just in case.

I'd suggest you read up on Bloat.Would be faster for you to gain the needed advice. Tropheus are most prone to bloat.Your peacocks should be fine but only feed them the bloodworm once a week. Are you cutting it up for the fry?, too big whole.I would not feed your fry it until they are 2cm+. I find a good mix of 4/5 foods 3/4 times a day is best for fast growth.

I have done my reading on bloat. The Mrs suddently thought giving 2cm Afra fry frozen worms was a great idea. The Afras loved it but alarm bells rang in my head.

From what I have read I am going to get a pepper grinder and put in NLS growth, cichlid formula and som vegie flakes. I also now have dried artemia cysts. I think the combination will be good. I just have to keep on saying to feed small freqently. The babies keep her onside so I will persist.

I'd suggest you read up on Bloat.Would be faster for you to gain the needed advice. Tropheus are most prone to bloat.Your peacocks should be fine but only feed them the bloodworm once a week. Are you cutting it up for the fry?, too big whole.I would not feed your fry it until they are 2cm+. I find a good mix of 4/5 foods 3/4 times a day is best for fast growth.

Today I used a hammer to crush the grow. The afras still are not too keen on the NLS Grow powder but the Peacock fry like it. Both love the cysts. Crushed veggie flakes and the remainding frozen BBS make up the deal. Live BBS are a no no because of time. Frozen was an interim but too pricey too carry on.

It's much slower I know but I find my old mortar and pestle is best for grinding up the NLS. Makes it into powder

Archived