Pseudotropheus Ice Blue available?

AndrewCheese

Hi,

Firstly, this being my first post, just want to say I love the forums, the information and experience here is awesome.

I read up here at someones recommendation, and have started a new 150L display tank for Malawi types.

All is going well, with 2 Electric Yellows (m+m), 2 Rubin Reds (m+f) and 2 Mpangas (m+m).

I'm looking for one more pair of cichlids, and a pair of catfish to round out the tank.

Has anyone seen any Pseudotropheus Ice Blue available in/around Sydney area?

And do you think they would play nice with the 6 I have, of roughly the same size (4-5 cm avg)?

I've heard they can get a lil uppity to others of same shape/colour, could there be an issue with the Mpangas or the Rubins?

Thanks for any advice.

Andrew.

G'day Andrew and welcome to the forums!

The fish most often referred to as "Ice Blue" (at least in overseas hobby) is Metriaclima greshakei. It has a Red Dorsal and a cobalt/ice blue body. Is this the one you mean?

If so, they were once really common in the hobby here, but I haven't seen many around in recent years. I have heard they are still available on a few wholesale lists though.

These guys are quite large when grown and they have a mean temper, coupled with large territories. I'd probably not mix them with what you have in a tank that's only 150L. Although having said that, the Mpangas can be pretty evil too when they want to be.

You might be alright with Cobalt Zebras (Metriaclima callainos). Scope 'em out and see if you like them.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply.

That is the fish i meant, yes.

Gorgeous things, great contrasting colours.

I was thinking if I got them in the community while young, they would stay relatively small.

I was hoping that atleast.

I think the mpangas would be ok, the rubins I bought slighlty bigger than the rest to acount for their timid nature, which might help, but the electric yellows might get nipped a few times, which worries me, as they show damage very easily.

Those cobalts look very nice, very brilliant colour.

If only they had a bright red/yellow dorsal! :)

Hey again,

They'll grow mate...lol Growth is dependent largely on how well they're fed and how clean the water is. I wouldn't expect they'll stay small in a tank belonging to someone who loves them. :p

See how the Mpangas go... They may be alright, but remember that size doesn't matter with Cichlids - I've seen small brichardi holding great big Dimi comps at bay! hehe

You're right about the yellows... Being Mbuna, they are more likely to be picked on than the Rubins... But there is never a set formula to follow, so try things out according toyour own educated decision and see how it goes. :)

Hi,

Firstly, this being my first post, just want to say I love the forums, the information and experience here is awesome.

I read up here at someones recommendation, and have started a new 150L display tank for Malawi types.

All is going well, with 2 Electric Yellows (m+m), 2 Rubin Reds (m+f) and 2 Mpangas (m+m).

I'm looking for one more pair of cichlids, and a pair of catfish to round out the tank.

Has anyone seen any Pseudotropheus Ice Blue available in/around Sydney area?

And do you think they would play nice with the 6 I have, of roughly the same size (4-5 cm avg)?

I've heard they can get a lil uppity to others of same shape/colour, could there be an issue with the Mpangas or the Rubins?

Thanks for any advice.

Andrew.

I have an adult male for sale if you are interested.

He isn't too teritorial in my tank but that might be due to the number of more agressive fish in there.

He is about 10cm, the only thing you have to worry about is that he likes to breed with almost anything... especially my red empress. This doesn't bother me as this is not a breeding tank and the babies never last. As the other fish in your tank are only 4-5cm he might not be ideal at the moment but that is up to you.

Failing that I have a friend who is breeding them, you can get him at glennstracey335@hotmail.com. Just be aware that they don't get the good colour until they have matured a fair bit.

Cheers

Elliott

Archived