Red Cap Lethrinops and Furcifers

blue sniper

Hey guys,

I am planning to build a 7 x 1.5 x 1.5 ft tank and wanted to see what your thoughts were with the stocking of this tank.

This is what I had in mind.

-colony of furcifers or ventralis

-colony of leptosomas

-colony of red cap lethrinops

All fish will be bought as juvies at the same time to be grown together, the eventual colony that I would like to have is 2M 5F for the furcifers and the red caps together with roughly 20 leptosomas.

Will all these fish live and breed together as adult fish and is my tank large enough?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. :thumb

Sounds like my dream tank...

In terms of stocking, it sounds pretty good (understocked in my opinion,

which can only be a good thing).

Make sure you have lots of sand as your substrate for the furcifers as they

will love to build their bowers for breeding in.

Also interested to know where you plan on buying the fish, not many people seem to have furcifers (from memory noddy was breeding the red\

caps).

Cheers,

John

Sounds nice.

But have you kept these fish together before.

Your furcifer males will be the boss of the tank.I would have more females less of the rest.

I think the others will fine it hard to compete with them.Lethrinops are a lovely fish but cant compete with the furcifer/ventrslis.

Good luck

I would probably ditch the Lethinops and include a nice Lamp:calvus or leleupi spring to mind and arent so aggressive(Like buescheri and its relatives)and occupy the lower levels.

Otherwise that would be an awesome tank :thumbup: Show us photos

Your tank isn't the ideal size for species that dig large bowers in the sand. I think it is also going to look very flat and 'uncomfortable'. Is it possible to go for a tank that is wider? For example 7'x2'x18". I don't think it would add much to the overall cost and it will make any aquascaping that much easier, plus it gives the fish a fair bit more play to build their bowers.

Fish wise the furcifers and leptos will be fine together. I can't comment on red caps as I have never kept them before. Hopefully Noddy will see this thread as he is currently breeding them.

As said the Lethrinops will struggle.

intern1 keeps them (red caps) nice colony.

I have years ago and advice above is correct. They are timid compared to the fuccifers/ventralis.

Leps are fine.Unless you choose jumbo leps.

I would go for a bigger foot print of tank for sand sifters and even possibly 2' high as leptos really do like it higher. I have seen a colony of 50+ leptos more than happy in 6x2x2 with things like lelelupi occies and julies in. An adult male furcifer could dig a pit 2'x2' so as mentioned you really should have more females than males. Leptos like height if they cannot get then drift down so they may get in the way of sandsifters. Also Jumbos really can get a aggressive so sub-dominant males need places to hide.

cheers

Rosco

Thanks for all the great advice above guys. :thumbup:

It seems like there must be a change of plans for this to work, what I will now do is eliminate the lethrinops colony, :( which is a shame as they are such nice fish.

Also interested to know where you plan on buying the fish, not many people seem to have furcifers (from memory noddy was breeding the red\

caps).

Cheers,

John

Ventralis and leptosomas seem quite easy to get atm, you are right with the furcifers as they seem a bit harder to find, talk to dot com appin and he should be able to tell you more on what's available.

I am in no rush for them so will be waiting for the right fish.

Your tank isn't the ideal size for species that dig large bowers in the sand. I think it is also going to look very flat and 'uncomfortable'. Is it possible to go for a tank that is wider? For example 7'x2'x18". I don't think it would add much to the overall cost and it will make any aquascaping that much easier, plus it gives the fish a fair bit more play to build their bowers.

Fish wise the furcifers and leptos will be fine together. I can't comment on red caps as I have never kept them before. Hopefully Noddy will see this thread as he is currently breeding them.

I would go for a bigger foot print of tank for sand sifters and even possibly 2' high as leptos really do like it higher. I have seen a colony of 50+ leptos more than happy in 6x2x2 with things like lelelupi occies and julies in. An adult male furcifer could dig a pit 2'x2' so as mentioned you really should have more females than males. Leptos like height if they cannot get then drift down so they may get in the way of sandsifters. Also Jumbos really can get a aggressive so sub-dominant males need places to hide.

cheers

Rosco

I would love to get a bigger tank but its an existing rack that is already set up, all I am doing is taking off one level of tanks to fit the new one in.

Maybe ventralis will be the better option as they don't grow as big, so the new plans for now will be a larger colony of ventralis (mtoto) and a whole heap of leptosomas.

I will post photos as the tank is getting set up.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. :thumb

Archived