Is there such a thing as low or high grade red empress

M.H

i went to go buy a red empress male the other day and the guy was telling me to buy his fish cause its a high grade red empress its shows more colour im new to this but it didnt make any sense not for that kind of fish im seeking your help was he right or just talking crap to me :confused:

There is better quality fish of any species, so I suppose you could say there is high and low grade. By better quality one is usually referring the the overall colour (More colour usually = better quality), health and vigour of the fish.

I wouldn't buy from anyone who told you to buy there fish. Before purchasing any cichlid ask what it is fed. Anything fed colouring enchancing foods made for flowerhorns in particular stay away from.

I agree. But having seen wild Red Empress at Namalenji Island, I can tell you that they don't seem to have lost much (if any) quality in Australia. Males in any breeding colony I see here all seem to be as good as they should be.

As for the sales spin... Any shop is going to want you to buy their fish. As mcloughlin2 says, find out what they are fed. Once you find out, if you're not sure whether the food is one to watch out for, ask us here. Another factor is what the fish were fed before the shop took them on. You won't be able to find that out is most cases, but asking how long the shop has had the fish can help. One thing's for sure, if they are full adult colour ad 5cm, they've been "enhanced" with food...lol

I don't like the term "high grade". A shop would be more successful if it flogged the fish as "from a reputable breeder" or "from good quality stock / no deformities / unrelated parents / etc."

My $0.02 :)

Andrew.

If you want to buy quality fish you need to first know what a fish should look like. To me the best quality fish is one that closely matches the wild specimen. Color is only one thing to consider. The size and shape of the fish needs to be considered too.

Anyone telling you their fish is high quality because its shows a lot of color, doesn't really know what they are talking about!

I agree. But having seen wild Red Empress at Namalenji Island, I can tell you that they don't seem to have lost much (if any) quality in Australia. Males in any breeding colony I see here all seem to be as good as they should be.

As for the sales spin... Any shop is going to want you to buy their fish. As mcloughlin2 says, find out what they are fed. Once you find out, if you're not sure whether the food is one to watch out for, ask us here. Another factor is what the fish were fed before the shop took them on. You won't be able to find that out is most cases, but asking how long the shop has had the fish can help. One thing's for sure, if they are full adult colour ad 5cm, they've been "enhanced" with food...lol

I don't like the term "high grade". A shop would be more successful if it flogged the fish as "from a reputable breeder" or "from good quality stock / no deformities / unrelated parents / etc."

My $0.02 :)

Andrew.

well said as for foods they mean foods that have hormones which inhance colours at a younger age

p.s. i dont like it ether when people talk up a fish that looks like every other fish or is in species only with females!

red empress are not graded like crs shrimp so they can't have a high graded red empress

Hi What size red empress are you looking for...p.s i saw some high grade red empress at auburn aquarium $179 a pair lol (big joke)

Well i think i have very good quality red empress who ever has seen would agree :) i have many fry coming through now only 2-3cm so if you can wait you will get yourself some good Empress :)

Hi What size red empress are you looking for...p.s i saw some high grade red empress at auburn aquarium $179 a pair lol (big joke)

Well i think i have very good quality red empress who ever has seen would agree :) i have many fry coming through now only 2-3cm so if you can wait you will get yourself some good Empress :)

M.H, if you do want some good quality red empress wait for LithoMan's. they truely are some of the best you will find anywhere.

Lock me in for 10 empress too Lithoman. I may make it next month to NSWCS meeting failing that I will be there in August. That is if you show to the meetings as well. I don't mind them being a little small as I have time my purchases when I am 300k's north.

cheers

rosco

they truely are some of the best you will find anywhere.

thats a big call firthy13! he got his group from someone

litho he is a very nice male and i would agree that M.H should be getting them from you rather than a store!

Archived