Multi's

Pilly

Howdy all, Im new to this forum, not so new to cichlids.

I thaught i better make a contribution so here it is.

These guys are by far my favourite fish atm. I can watch this tank for hours. The antics and personalities of multis just amaze me. There are 6 generations all sharing this tank with a 7th on the way.

This tank was quite hard to shoot as the yellow sand seems to throw out my camera for some reason.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

You've done a great job with the tank's aquascaping - really catered for the fish and you've got a great eye for balance and it seems as though you had an eye on Tanganyika when putting it together. My only critique is that the rocks at the left look just a touch contrived. That is, they look as though they have been put together trying to make hidy-holes.

Give it a couple of years and the tank will have hundreds of fish. I used to feed my multi tank with NLS put though a pepper grinder, which on a loose setting catered for all fish sizes.

At a guess, regarding your comment on the colour, I'd hesitate to say, it may have something to do with the setting on your camera and the fact you are photographing under fluorescent lights?

The rocks are coming out as they are a temp home to some julies while their tank cycles.

Ill be adding a few more shells soon too and removing a little sand, but not so much they have nothing to dig in. There are around 200 shells in there at the moment and i think i need another 4-600 to really get a deep shell bed hapening. Ill post some more piccies as it comes along.

The shells are from a local salt water snail. They are an absolute nightmare to clean. I have found the most effective tool for the job is a denture brush.

I have long thought the best aquascaping for a multi tank is a few layers of shells (maybe a few flat rocks), and bury the lot under a substrate, max size 3mm. Then let the fish aquascape their own tank, opening up more and more areas as their population increases.

It sounds as though this is what you're doing. I'll look great, even better than it already looks.

Hope you're not killing the snails to put in your tank.

Hope you're not killing the snails to put in your tank.

No not killing the snails i have found a snail bed similar to what you would see in lake tang and dig the shells up from there. They usually require a good scrub with the denture brush and a boil before they can go in the tank. It has taken quite a while to accumulate all those shells as they are deposited slowly over time.

Some piccies of their original tank. I have removed the plants and added some fine sand to the new tank for a more natural feel.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Archived