Planning my new breeding setup

Jackos80

Hey all,

My last setup was good but I want to downsize as it took too much space in the garage, I loved having such a range but it got to be bit of a hassle with 6 four foots. Plus the extras I had here and there, fry tanks and others.

Basically I am posting this up because I am trying to plan my next breeding setup. I have convinced the war and finance minister that I will downsize in numbers of tanks but didn't say what size they would be. So I am looking at a 6x2x2 inside for display, then two 6x2x2 stacked for breeding. I am planning on dividing up the bottom tank for bristlenose two dividers so I can have three different breeds. I've learned how to make those fry savers which are pretty good for cheap and easy to build. This way I won't waste the tops of the bristlenose tank but having the fry savers at the top.

The top tank I haven't decided on what to do yet. As I guess I will see what I want to breed in there. Basically I am looking at best way of filtration, I used to run sponge filters and two canister filters that I used to move around. I want something with a little less maintenance to keep clean. Bristlenose are the worst for muck as they leave it everywhere. So I thought the bottom tank would be best so I can clean easily. What I was looking at was a sump filter and tapping all the tanks with returns and whatever. But I need decision on where to put the taps for best results and keep fry loss at a low.

Whats the thoughts out there? I haven't seen many breeding setups just a few here and there.

Tanks that size dont leave you many options when it comes to breeding only setups. I would go 6x18x16 high tanks three high and then partition them off. The total height wouldnt be a whole lot different but it will leave you with more options IMHO.

I am downsizing to 18 inch cubes and 3x18x18 tanks for my next room. I may have 4x18x18's but I am not sure yet.

It basically comes down to what you want to breed. If its only Mbuna then go for the smaller tanks. If its larger tang and yanks, then the bigger tanks are a must.

Tanks that size dont leave you many options when it comes to breeding only setups. I would go 6x18x16 high tanks three high and then partition them off. The total height wouldnt be a whole lot different but it will leave you with more options IMHO.

I am downsizing to 18 inch cubes and 3x18x18 tanks for my next room. I may have 4x18x18's but I am not sure yet.

It basically comes down to what you want to breed. If its only Mbuna then go for the smaller tanks. If its larger tang and yanks, then the bigger tanks are a must.

Your right about the height i guess it would be alot of waste tank space. Plus it would cut down the overall height of the setup as well. Thinking if I go a good size for top tank that way I can put my own dividers and decide when I get there on what to breed.

Archived