under floor filter

Bollo

Hi all, my name is Allan & i am fairly new hear & have had fish for around a year almost, my question is, i have a aqua one 120 tank & am thinking of doing some sort of under the floor (well under the rocks) filter system, a mate mentioned it to me ages ago but i have lost contact with this mate.

Any info of either kits you can buy or a home made job would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Allan :thumb

Hi all, my name is Allan & i am fairly new hear & have had fish for around a year almost, my question is, i have a aqua one 120 tank & am thinking of doing some sort of under the floor (well under the rocks) filter system, a mate mentioned it to me ages ago but i have lost contact with this mate.

Any info of either kits you can buy or a home made job would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Allan :thumb

Assuming you mean an under gravel filter?

Like this

yes thats what i meant lol, another question if my tank is approx 4 ft long do i need an under gravel filter to go the entire length of the tank ?

this is probably a silly question but i have a rather large piece of petrified timber in my tank that weighs around 10 kgs can a under gravel filter hold this sort of weight ?

thanks

Well, I've only ever seen Undergravel Filters (UGFs) upto 3' in length. You could buy two and join them to make the required length.

A brand name that comes to mind is KIS. I've had 2' and 3' ones from them.

I've also seen DIY ones with PVC pipe and powerheads.

It'll need power heads on it IMO to be of any use. The air stones are no good for all but the smallest bio load i.e. a few small fish.

Will it be running with the filter that comes with the AR120?

One of those KIS ones would hold the weight - it's got little legs underneath every few inches.

Firstly, what is your reason for wanting to change to an UGF? Is it to replace existing filter? Or in addition to the existing filter?

UGF can be a home made job which I can explain later dependant on the above answers.

Craig

Hey,

i would just use a good quality canister... but then again, i dont know much about undergravel filters.

If your using sand as substrate= not a good idea

Canisters can be hid behind the doors of your cabinet and they're relly quiet (well, most of them :B )

HTH

Cooder

at the moment i am using the top filter that came with the tank & also an aqua one canister filter its a 700 but i noticed that the bottom of the tank is dirty even after doing water changes & cleaning both filters, i use larger gravel type rocks.

i am just trying to keep the tank looking cleaner & the water crystal clear

at the moment i am using the top filter that came with the tank & also an aqua one canister filter its a 700 but i noticed that the bottom of the tank is dirty even after doing water changes & cleaning both filters, i use larger gravel type rocks.

I don't think an UGF will help.

You need to vacuum the rocks - with something like this

How big are your 'gravel type rocks'?

A limitation of these "off the shelf" tanks is that you're a bit tied into the systems that come with the tank.

Your basic issue is that the dirt is not getting to the filter, this is primarily because the waste is heavy and sits on the bottom, and the filter inlet is above this.

When doing water changes, their function is to remove the water with its liquid waste, AND it is an opportunity to siphon out the heavier solid waste at the bottom. So...depending on the level of solid waste will determine whether you have an issue or not. You may just have a normal tank.

Things you can do,

1. Move the air stone (assuming there is one) so that it either creates an upward current that takes the solid waste towards the filter inlet, or at least moves it out of sight for the next water change.
  2. Reducing fish numbers will reduce solid waste.
  3. Not knowing how much solid waste there is...lastly, relax a bit, as the issue may not be a real concern. After all, if it is taken out by the filter, it is effectively still in the tank.
  4. Smaller (not less than 3mm) gravel will help.
While a UFG won't hurt your situation, it may not really improve it, The excess waste will just go below the gravel, and out of sight is not necessarily the best solution. Not to mention the HUGE disruption to an established tank when installing it.

You've already installed a second filter, I think your best to increase circulation to get the waste moving towards the filter outlets.

Craig

A limitation of these "off the shelf" tanks is that you're a bit tied into the systems that come with the tank.

Your basic issue is that the dirt is not getting to the filter, this is primarily because the waste is heavy and sits on the bottom, and the filter inlet is above this.

When doing water changes, their function is to remove the water with its liquid waste, AND it is an opportunity to siphon out the heavier solid waste at the bottom. So...depending on the level of solid waste will determine whether you have an issue or not. You may just have a normal tank.

Things you can do,

1. Move the air stone (assuming there is one) so that it either creates an upward current that takes the solid waste towards the filter inlet, or at least moves it out of sight for the next water change.
  2. Reducing fish numbers will reduce solid waste.
  3. Not knowing how much solid waste there is...lastly, relax a bit, as the issue may not be a real concern. After all, if it is taken out by the filter, it is effectively still in the tank.
  4. Smaller (not less than 3mm) gravel will help.
While a UFG won't hurt your situation, it may not really improve it, The excess waste will just go below the gravel, and out of sight is not necessarily the best solution. Not to mention the HUGE disruption to an established tank when installing it.

You've already installed a second filter, I think your best to increase circulation to get the waste moving towards the filter outlets.

Craig

thanks to all of you who replied with tips or comments, Craig i think your on the money mate with what you have said, i am thinking to upgrade the canister filter to a larger one & maybe also add a small pump in the tank to help circulate the water & lastly i can also lower the 2 pump inlets.

Oh & i have 2 air stones one at each end of the tank.

I think my biggest problem is i tend to over feed them as i have had dogs all my life & they will just keep eating lol

thanks again to all of you

cheers Allan

Before spending more money, try relocating the air stones, AND by the sounds of it, cut down their food. Feeding NLS can help as it has less indigestible fillers = less waste. Because of its high quality content, you can also feed less food and be still feeding adequately = less waste.

Post up some photos to show this waste you are concerned about, as I said above perhaps you have a normal tank, and you're worried over nothing.

Craig is on the money. I found the introduction of an air curtain along the back and an air stone in a area the dirt collected helped keep the muck off the ground.

I have one of those overhead filters combined with a cannister. I do not use the aqua one replacement cartridges. Instead I have loaded the trays with bio media (matrix) and use wool on top of that. Where the water exits the trays I put a bag of purigen which also polishes the water. My routine is to rinse the filter wool fortnightly on filters. One advantage of the ovcerhead filter is they are easy to access and maintain and have a good surface area.

BTW do you have any bottom feeders eg bristlenoses or Synos. They finish off any leftovers and polish the glass inside.

Before spending more money, try relocating the air stones, AND by the sounds of it, cut down their food. Feeding NLS can help as it has less indigestible fillers = less waste. Because of its high quality content, you can also feed less food and be still feeding adequately = less waste.

Post up some photos to show this waste you are concerned about, as I said above perhaps you have a normal tank, and you're worried over nothing.

Hi guys,

i bit the bullet & bought a few things to hopefully help me keep the tank clean, i have now added a water pump the the opposite end of the filter at the bottom of the tank to move the weather around the tank & back towards the filter pickups, also i have bought a new aqua one 1250 cartridge filter as the 700 wasn't really big enough ( & i have put ical onto my smaller tank ) & i added some bio something i got from the fish shop, after i told the guy that my water was looked like a cuppa weak tea lol he told me to use wither active carbon or this other bio something which is supposed to be better so I'll see.

also i put the pickup for the new 1250 right at the bottom of the tank

:thumbup:

Archived