How do i tell if bn gravid (SOMETHING WIERD HAPPENED)

LEG-IT

hi guys,

recently bought a colony of bn's of fellow member jack (jackos80) at a extreme cheap price, you wouldnt guess how much, i dont want to say if jack doesnt want me to say

anyways his son fished me a female at a HUGEE size (9.3cm), i have 10 at home now,

7 colony 3 young,

when i acclimated them i slowly netted them in and determined the sexes, i have 4 females (a l/f bn to) and 3 males,

well after watching abit on the tank, i noticed the male following the large female, she didnt mind at all,

she sucked onto the window and noticed she is a bit wider than usual, than the other females, and now the male is in the cave and the female hanging outside

im wondering is this a sign of breeding and how do you know if the female is gravid,

i scored myself a fantastic bargain,

thanks agian to jackos80

cheers

Hey mate,

Sounds like its getting ready to breed, the male will go into the cave and fan away. The female will hang around and then the male will try and get her in there. If she is fat in the guys then sounds like she will be ready, give them a couple of weeks and be surprised when your tank is full in no time.

Hey mate,

Sounds like its getting ready to breed, the male will go into the cave and fan away. The female will hang around and then the male will try and get her in there. If she is fat in the guys then sounds like she will be ready, give them a couple of weeks and be surprised when your tank is full in no time.

something wierd just happened,

jack gave me 10 bn's, 7 in the colony 3 juvies.

i even counted them into the tank, one by one, all up 10,

i counted them each today when i got them on sunday,

now i counted their is 11, 1 extra sub adult,

i dont know how he got their, tank was free from bn's, plus i doubled counted got my dad and brother to confirm,

know whats up my mind is how he got their

Are you cloning in your tank??

Or maybe I was just to generous.

Or you have some fast growing fry....

The more the merrier just make sure you get some more breeding logs in the next few months.....

you were overly genorus giving me all that, plus this new bonus one thats a whoppa deal,

it could of been attached on to the driftwood, but that was out of the water for 20 mins,

or maybe my family has eye problems :lol1:

or maybe like what litho said some good weed :thumbup:

LEG-IT, Your joking???

Or others comments are right.

Just do a search on your fish to look at whats what.

Females are a lot fatter

Wooppa deal, Hungry Jacks,

9.3 cm is not lg for these guys 15cm + is

LEG-IT, Your joking???

im thinking he ment it as 9.3 is big at the price he paid

eg "9.3 $20 now that is cheap for such a big bn "

but yes your right they get upwards of 15cm at times

LEG-IT, Your joking???

im thinking he ment it as 9.3 is big at the price he paid

eg "9.3 $20 now that is cheap for such a big bn "

but yes your right they get upwards of 15cm at times

trust me,

when you hear how much it cost for the colony than you will understand,

i got the whole colony for $20,

yep thats right, i would like to once agian thanks jack for this,

male is guarding the cave and female hanging outside the cave, female is plumpt to the max

• 2 weeks later...

Must be the season. The community tanks male BN cave has some orange eggs outside. No idea if there are any inside the cave.

I thought it was always season for bns? :)

I just took my only breeding cave out after three spawnings and too much fry, now the buggers have laid eggs on the underside of a rock.

I heard that once they start they will not stop. We have one lucky fella with two ladies.

Must be the season. The community tanks male BN cave has some orange eggs outside. No idea if there are any inside the cave.

I thought it was always season for bns? :)

I just took my only breeding cave out after three spawnings and too much fry, now the buggers have laid eggs on the underside of a rock.

Archived