When to strip Xenotilapia flavapinnis (Nyanza Lac)

Noddy65

Hi All

My Xenotilapia flavapinnis (Nyanza Lac) finally spawned for me (watched them this morning) :B

They share the tank with N. signatus and Cyps.

When should I strip them? Should I wait until the male is holding as well?

Any help would be great thanks

Regards

Mike

G'day Mike,

Providing she's a good mum, Xenos are best stripped at 3 weeks. Bare minimum would be after two weeks.

Cheers,

Andrew.

G'day Mike,

Providing she's a good mum, Xenos are best stripped at 3 weeks. Bare minimum would be after two weeks.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew

Zoe passed on the good news about your recent breeding

Mike

Ahh yes... Please thank her for giving you the message... *Grin*

Hope the new additions are going well for you!

Mike, I went to strip my X spilopterus about 5 days after the male took charge. They realy zip around the tank and he actually spat the lot. I then had a mad panic scooping them all up before they were eaten.

Bruce

Provded they are good parents or if it is their first clutch, I would be inclined to leave the fry with them. It is an amazing site to see the fry swimming about and then retreat into the parents mouths. The fry tend to be quite adventurous so if they are in with other fish then they can be picked off rather easily, but generally not by the parents. My only worry was them getting sucked up in the filter so make sure you have it set-up so that can't happen.

If you want to strip them, then I would suggest you wait until its proper dark for at least an hour so they go to "sleep". The male will be much easier to catch and the risk of him damaging himself or spitting the fry all over the place will be greatly reduced.

Good luck with them, they are awesome fish!

Cheers

James

Archived