Fish growth stunted

ant265

What could cause fish to stunt their growth? I bred some Hongi approx 18 months ago they have been in a standard 4ft and are only approx 5-6cm, also a colony of duboisi from 2 different sources which are in a 4x1.5x2 at 3cm about 12 months ago and at approx 5cm and T. Chilambos from 2 sources (from 1 source purchased at 3cm others around 7cm) about 9 months ago which are in an AR980 which fry grew about 2cm but apart from that they havent grown :dntknw:

There are many factors. I would look at water quality and the quality of the food you feed them.

I agree with Josh.....

but add...if you want fish to grow faster....do bigger water changes more often

I have heard of a commercial discus breeder who is doing 90% water changes every morning and every night!!!

Lack of water changes will cause stunted growth. Growing fish release hormones that stunt other fishes growth. Only way to keep this hormone diluted enough not to have an effect is frequent water changes.

Poor quality of food or lack of feeding is another cause. Small frequent feedings encourage faster growth in most situations.

Lack of water changes will cause stunted growth. Growing fish release hormones that stunt other fishes growth. Only way to keep this hormone diluted enough not to have an effect is frequent water changes.

Poor quality of food or lack of feeding is another cause. Small frequent feedings encourage faster growth in most situations.

Monday to friday i only feed in afternoon when i get home from work because i get up at 530am and they are still asleep so i alternate one day NLS cichlid formula next day Thera A and on weekends they get cichlid formula in morning and Thera A at night. Also i have just started to do weekly water changes instead of fortnightly so see how that goes.

Cheers

Put a powerhead in there.

Moving water really helps to oxygenate it and I reckon that makes them grow faster too.

AR980 tank has internal filter (powerhead), sponge filter and corner filter, std 4ft tank has 2 canister filters and 4x18x2 has sump with OR3500 and 1200lph canister

Thanks for all the help so far everyone

Archived