Snails....

pseudotrop

Just stripped my 3' tank to get rid of these feral things (burrowing snails + ramshorn snails). Had a ton of bn fry to move to make life easy...

I've thrown out the gravel, ornaments and nearly everything that was in the tank except the heater as I could be sure nothing was left on it (treated in KMnO4/condies crystals) and wiped down.

I've just started up a new canister aswell as the old one was infested quite severly (awaiting a decent clean).

What're the chances of the fish carrying any snails?

Or the water for that matter? (placed all fish in a 'quarantine' tank) with water from infested tank. Didn't have a chance to get a separate filter running etc to cycle, so only have an airstone and some zeolite in the tank to minimise chemical problems (It's ~50L and has ~40 bn fry, 15 neons and 5 pepps, 3 common bns).

Should I run at least a sponge for a week or two to make sure no snails made it to the quarantine tank then transfer them to my 3'? (probably wouldn't cycle though)

I don't want to have to repeat this again any time soon - I'm hard up for time aswell, been away for a few weeks and going away again soon so want minimal problems if possible.

Just stripped my 3' tank to get rid of these feral things (burrowing snails + ramshorn snails). Had a ton of bn fry to move to make life easy...

I've thrown out the gravel, ornaments and nearly everything that was in the tank except the heater as I could be sure nothing was left on it (treated in KMnO4/condies crystals) and wiped down.

I've just started up a new canister aswell as the old one was infested quite severly (awaiting a decent clean).

What're the chances of the fish carrying any snails?

Or the water for that matter? (placed all fish in a 'quarantine' tank) with water from infested tank. Didn't have a chance to get a separate filter running etc to cycle, so only have an airstone and some zeolite in the tank to minimise chemical problems (It's ~50L and has ~40 bn fry, 15 neons and 5 pepps, 3 common bns).

Should I run at least a sponge for a week or two to make sure no snails made it to the quarantine tank then transfer them to my 3'? (probably wouldn't cycle though)

I don't want to have to repeat this again any time soon - I'm hard up for time aswell, been away for a few weeks and going away again soon so want minimal problems if possible.

Fish will not carry snails (but nets can).

Burrowing snails are livebearers and young can be very small. Ramshorn are egg layers, and their masses can be on most things.

Don’t use gravel, ornaments or hoses from old tank (throw gravel out or use it around the base of potted plants). You can use your canister again but make sure there are no young, eggs or adults (don’t reuse filter hoses unless you can be positive there are no snails inside). You can use the biomedia again (because this will maintain the tank’s cycling) but really go through it carefully. Discard and replace any mechanical media.

When you move the fish back out of the quarantine tank, just use your eyes to make sure there are no snails in the net. I hope your quarantine tank is cycled for the fish load.

Rod54 might want your snails, particularly your burrowing snails, which he finds particularly valuable. :yes::lol2::thumb

Yes Craig.....the are valuable.....not financially but emotionally.... :yes:

My days seem filled with replying to posts....making one after another passionate appeal for recognition of their positive contribution to our enclosed aquatic ecosystems.... :p

If you want to see any of them....just Goggle Rod/snails.....I haven't....but i'm sure I'll be there!!! :lol3::lol3:

Archived