Dud silicon tube

Ducksta

Well after stripping back my tanks silicone to reseal the thing (based on a slow leak which I was unable to precisely locate except that it was in the base and probably to the left rear) I resealed it this morning.

The silicone (new tube but had been in the garage a couple of months) looked a bit funny, I couldn't put my finger on how, but it didnt look right. Maybe it seemed a bit less clear than usual. Anyway, it smelt fine (well it smelt gross, but normal) and behaved like normal when applied so I figured I was dreaming.

Anyway, 12 hours on, when the seal should be well on the way to drying, it is still moist and sticky. I figure the silicone is no good.

What I was wondering is -

would the recent heat maybe have effected the silicone in the tube?

is it more likely there was a contaminent in the batch?

or has a seal on my bottle been dodgy and something got in (even just air?)?

Silicone should have developed a surface 'skin' with in 12 hours... it will be dry (not sticky) but soft as it has not cured below the surface.

You should also let the silicone cure for 24-48 hours... I would say the longer you leave it the better. If the seal has not changed consistency (cured) in 72 hours, then I would be redoing it with a brand new tube. You might not be able to trust what really is going on with that silicone.

Marko

Yep, sounds like you got a dud.

I had some old silicone that had the same problem. It never dried, after about a week in the garage then I put it outside for a few days, still not dry.

Prehapps you should contact the manufacturer for advice.

Ed.

I had a repair done by a lfs to a small tank. About 6 months later it leaked. When I had a look the silicone where the repair was was still "wet". Never cured. Cut it out and repaired it myself. I'd say you had a bad batch. Try and find another tube from a different batch. The batch number should be somewhere on the tube.

Archived