Snakehead!

fishtraderlau

Hi fishos.

You won't believe it but last thursday I was driving to work and I saw a fish flapping on the road. It's just a narrow potholed stretch of road and this part is next to a bit of a swamp so I assume it came from there. It was already pretty dry but I picked it up and continued to drive to work where I put it in a biscuit tin full of water.

So, atleast 20 minutes out of water and no worries at all. It's a definate snakehead, Channa striata so I have an aggressive little fella on my hands!

No wonder they aren't allowed in Australia as they fact they can breath air (I've read they drown if they can't actually get to the water surface) and are a wicked predator would make a volatile combination against any Aussie fish.

So, busily trying to find a local to whip me up some tanks as this has given me the preverbial boot and now the ban from the wife for tanks is over (8 month ban once we left Moura), I think it's time for a few 4x2x2's.

At the moment it's just living in a bucket and getting a diet of bugs and grasshoppers at the moment until I can get it into a tank environment.

Has anyone had any success keeping snakeheads before?

Cheers,

Andrew.

hey andrew,

nice work, that is certainly an awesome fish

any luck with getting a tank up and running yet? do u have any photo's u can share?

cheers lloyd

Hi fishos.

You won't believe it but last thursday I was driving to work and I saw a fish flapping on the road. It's just a narrow potholed stretch of road and this part is next to a bit of a swamp so I assume it came from there. It was already pretty dry but I picked it up and continued to drive to work where I put it in a biscuit tin full of water.

So, atleast 20 minutes out of water and no worries at all. It's a definate snakehead, Channa striata so I have an aggressive little fella on my hands!

No wonder they aren't allowed in Australia as they fact they can breath air (I've read they drown if they can't actually get to the water surface) and are a wicked predator would make a volatile combination against any Aussie fish.

So, busily trying to find a local to whip me up some tanks as this has given me the preverbial boot and now the ban from the wife for tanks is over (8 month ban once we left Moura), I think it's time for a few 4x2x2's.

At the moment it's just living in a bucket and getting a diet of bugs and grasshoppers at the moment until I can get it into a tank environment.

Has anyone had any success keeping snakeheads before?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

try this site

Singapore forum

Found any dwarf bettas??

I breed mine and raise fry in 12 litre tanks.....no filtration just plants

a lot let hassle than 4x2x2!!

but you were never in to doing things in a small way!

regards....Rod

PS I still have a colony of multies started from stock I bought for you....

8 years ago!

Like most eating machines they thrive in aquariums

Norm Halliwell had 2 Channa striata for many years

in his LFS and they had really nice purple sheen

there was also a guy that had a backyard aquarium

30 yrs ago that had them in ponds under his tanks

still remember watching him put a length of 10 mm

dowel in the pond only to see it bitten in 2 :shock:

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lloyd, Rod and fellas,

The snakehead is still going strong in his temporary home of a standard 20lt bucket- breathing air is sweet, rare water changes and he's happy with the diet of live crickets, grasshoppers and what ever else i find- he absolutely smashed a gecko last weekend!

I am assuming a he - just sounds right to match the aggressiveness.

No luck with a tank yet- I checked out all places that resemble aquarium places here in Sangatta and only daggy old 2nd hand one's that look like rubbish and prices resembling a 6x2x2 back home. I head to Balikpapan this weekend for the ANZAC Day ceremonies (Aussie ambassador from Jakarta will be there too) so will check out some shops on Sunday arvo (if i am sober enough) and Min will look on Monday too so fingers crossed for some monster tanks- need to get this and the other freshwater fish I see into one, as well as one for the bit of coral and reef I could pick up on dives that have been scattered from the locals still blasting :(

Interesting to hear Chris a few fellas have kept them, can't wait to see how he looks in a tank and feeling happier than a white bucket.

No fear of them getting to oz unless some clown brings one across the salt water and lets them go- all through asia here they are a good commercial and eating fish so are transported everywhere and introduced into just about every water system. The local native snakeheads of borneo are almost extinct because of the striata which is a bit of a bummer.

So far, wandering in the creeks I've seen tiger barbs, a different yellow coloured barb, lots of different gouramis, some big leaf-like fish and lots of rasbora looking things. Once i get a tank or two guys expect plenty of photos and i'll be wading the creeks everywhere with nets and flyscreen trying to get a good range to keep and photograph.

Fishtraderlau

in Sangatta :)

• 2 months later...

I was watching the invasion of snakehead gudgeons in the USA yesterday.

These things are devestating central American waterways.

Bring the bans on .

We don't want them here.

There are too many idiots that let fish go in our waterways.

Hi Dave just a note

Snakehead Gudgeons are a native and should not be confused with Channa sp. Snakeheads

that are being discussed in this thread but in the doco they may have called them snakehead

gudgeons

can you advise name of the doco as I would like to try and find a copy :)

I agree that Channa are a species that should be on the banned list but damn the dwarf form

C. orientalis are really nice

as a point of interest Orientalis female lays eggs to feed the fry with until they can fend for

themselves

Chris

Hi Dave just a note

Snakehead Gudgeons are a native and should not be confused with Channa sp. Snakeheads

that are being discussed in this thread but in the doco they may have called them snakehead

gudgeons

can you advise name of the doco as I would like to try and find a copy :)

I agree that Channa are a species that should be on the banned list but damn the dwarf form

C. orientalis are really nice

as a point of interest Orientalis female lays eggs to feed the fry with until they can fend for

themselves

Chris

Chinese traders spread Channa across Madagascar which is the main reason Malagasy cichlids are now so rare. I would hate to see them establish here, devastation is the word I think.

• 9 months later...

Thanks Euan and Chris

Point taken.

Thats why I prefer to use the scientific names.

It cuts out these mistakes.

Cheers.

PS next time I see the doco on Nat Geo I will record the name and let you know

Archived