Geophagus sp. "Araguaia Orange Head".

Spekky

Hi,

I was thinking of adding some Geophagus sp. "Araguaia Orange Head"to my tank with my Satanoperca leucosticta and my Acarichthys heckelii.

i have not seen them in my lfs so i was wondering if they are easy to come by and if they are what are the chances of getting good bloodlines?

I was thinking of going to the VSC Auctions in april, is this a good place to find well breed fish? im a bit scared of being sold a fish that is supposed to be a Geophagus sp. "Araguaia Orange Head but might be some thing else entirely.

If anyone has been to the VSC auctions before woul love to heard what they were like!

Cheers!

mate of mine just picked up 4 at our lfs , nice fish , itold him if he ever wanted to get rid of them , i'm first in.

They are Really nice fish, i first came across them on Japes thread.

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=45617

Hes got some Great pics of them and other eartheaters.

that is just awesome , i dont know whats clearer , the water or the photo's ... :thumbup:

The difference between these and the Rio Tapajos is quite subtle as the red cap and striping can be variable and alot of fish have been misidentified (like leucosticta being sold as jurupari which happens all the time).

The best way to know what your getting is to see the parents and do your research (eg http://eartheaters.qldaf.com/index.php?page=main)Buying at auction is always a risk,Ive had some very nice fish but some absolute rubbish as well

Thanks Killiguy,

I have seen that there can be id problems so i am a bit concerned. Maybe i will just ask my lfs is they can get me some. that prob my best shot at getting the right fish. Though i an intrigued but the auctions. are they good to go to? even just for a look?

Definitely good to go too.95%of the fish are excellent and you can get some rare fish and some absolute bargains

Thanks ill hold of on getting more fish (if i can resist ;) ) and Go have a look at the auctions!

it'll be a great experience and a good chance to meet some new people.

Spekky

LFS are not always 100% correct with ID of fish :no:

you'll do well to go to the auction and network with the other people

Just ask for Robbo or Aussie, Arj is usually on the door all good people

you'll have a good day :thumbup:

Chris

Spekky

LFS are not always 100% correct with ID of fish :no:

you'll do well to go to the auction and network with the other people

Just ask for Robbo or Aussie, Arj is usually on the door all good people

you'll have a good day :thumbup:

Chris

Thanks Chris.

i will give the auction a go, im gettig really excited now... yah only 3 days to wait!!

i will see if i can find Robbo Aussie or Ari as i will prob be a bit lost.

As for LFS knowing what they are talking about, i went to one of the ones in my area and asked if they had any orange head and she had no idea what i was talking about. i even had both scientific names and a pic. still had no idea.

It makes me mad. i know that there are a lot of fish out there that they need to learn but i have had soooo much misleading info from shops and lost fish because of this. now that i have the internet i do my research that way.

when i first got into tropical fish 8 years ago, i was sold one tiger Oscar 5 or 6 guppy's and some mollies. the shop assistant said that they would be fine. I soon found out that they were wrong. :shock:

Sorry about the rant.....

any way thanks for you help :)

Archived