Cyathopharynx foae

Cichlabxr

Another fish sold by location variety is Cyathopharynx foae. Because wild collected individuals often lack color and are pricey, it is best to buy bred juveniles and grow them. Often bred males will color up quite well in a year
From Cichlid News, What's new April 2009.

Just wondered what peoples experiences were like with WC Cyathopharynx foae and does the same apply for furcifer.

Another fish sold by location variety is Cyathopharynx foae. Because wild collected individuals often lack color and are pricey, it is best to buy bred juveniles and grow them. Often bred males will color up quite well in a year
From Cichlid News, What's new April 2009.

Just wondered what peoples experiences were like with WC Cyathopharynx foae and does the same apply for furcifer.

id say the same problem with foae/furcifer/featherfin.

i have a colony and i dont presume that they are WC , my males took atleast a year from free swimming before they look any good at all really.

WC must come in raggedy as , finnage is very delicate and damages easily so it may take upto 6 months to condition them and for finnage to repair ( took 6 months for my WC B.tricoti's finnage to repair )

but they are awesome and definately worth the wait

My boy

IPB Image

cheers

Steve Green

I would agree that some wild caught furcifer lack the intense colours that have made them famous - especially in shop holding tanks, but I have seen them go into full breeding dress once settled into a comfortable environment.

I would like to add, however, that most hobbyists who keep this species are keeping them with intent to breed and raise fry. It should then follow logically that the best adults to breed from are the wild caught fish - that way, you are producing the best quality fry you can to circulate in the hobby.

Goodness me! I think my heart stopped.

These fish are not like a goldfish, whose colour is ON all the time.

"foae/furcifer/featherfin" are fish whose colour is mood (and need) dependant.

It follows that a fish that has had the whole lake to swim in, is captured and bustle eventually to Oz, then dumped (potentially) in less than ideal circumstances into a tank, which with most hobbyist are building to minimum sizes, can be less than ideal, and may lead to a fish that mood is affected.

It makes no sense that a fish from the lake has less colour. But it is understandable that potential the boy may be less interested to show what he has.

F1 will not know what he is missing and hasn't had to get here, so will be less inclined to hold back once mature.

Archived