Do Ramhorn Snails Eat Fish Eggs?

Phenomena

Hi,

I'm suspecting them eating my Blue Rams eggs. The blue rams have spawned 3-4 times. They're a young pair, so I let them learn to care for their own. Some people said some rams never learned to care for their own young (eat their eggs) no matter what.

I have snails in the tank. The last spawn was a bit sus. As the Rams seem to be better parents. I still saw them guarding the eggs at night when it was pitch black. By the next morning, all eggs were gone. That was the largest spawn as well.

I have used these snails with my Ls eggs to eat bad eggs, and didn't have problem with them eating good eggs. My guess is because the Ram eggs are much smaller?

TIA...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm suspecting them eating my Blue Rams eggs. The blue rams have spawned 3-4 times. They're a young pair, so I let them learn to care for their own. Some people said some rams never learned to care for their own young (eat their eggs) no matter what.

I have snails in the tank. The last spawn was a bit sus. As the Rams seem to be better parents. I still saw them guarding the eggs at night when it was pitch black. By the next morning, all eggs were gone. That was the largest spawn as well.

I have used these snails with my Ls eggs to eat bad eggs, and didn't have problem with them eating good eggs. My guess is because the Ram eggs are much smaller?

TIA...

G'day, Yes snails will eat fish eggs but Blue Rams particularly young ones are notorious egg eaters too. Time will tell if they can learn to breed successfully but I would remove the snails from the tank.

Cichlid POWER, Peter

Rams are terrible parents usually eating the eggs between 24-48 hours.Its best to grab them as soon as you notice the eggs.The fry are really small and very sensitive so are quite difficult to get through the first week or so but are easy to artificially hatch.Once youve got one brood on the go them you can let them have a go,they breed every 7-10 days if in good nick

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that snails can eat eggs - personal experience with mystery snails. The fact your eggs went AWOL over night lends weight to the snail, though not sure as your snails are rams horn. Take them out to be sure.

Archived