american cichlids again

Gav

made this post separate to the other recent american post for reasons that are likely obvious.

some may remember my posts of the past about issues with my tank and unexplained deaths. i pretty much resolved it, but in the process got sick of tetras, angels and community. as such, they have all gone on to a better place (the 4x2 in my office) and i have cleaned out my big tank ready for some american love. to make it easier, tank is 6x4x2.5, will have rocks and driftwood with aqua one black substrate. filtration is 2 eheim 3e pro

so for fish. in the other post saw andrews relpy and he had one tank that had what i thought was a great combination of fish. so far i have in my quarantine system.

oscars,

texas

braziliensis

(plus some plecos for cleanup)

in a week they come out and i am considering getting some more. so far the ideas i have had (and fish i have seen) are the following

salvini (love these guys)

severum (again a great fish, would get some green some gold)

green terrors (never had but always wanted)

festae (same as greens, always wanted never had)

fish i have previously had but havent seen

chocolates (always loved em)

synspilum (great colours)

jack dempseys (great fish as well)

i am also open to ideas on fish i may have missed, but ideally i want to get stuff that has some colour (so as an example uaru or pearsii dont really do it for me). also avoiding the stuff with real high end aggression (eg jags).

since its been a while (read 20 odd years) since I had americans, just want to confirm compatability, but also suspect there are a few that are around now that were not in the past. i suspect chocolates may not do so well, as from memory they are fairly placid compared to the rest. looking to get 30 odd at a small size and over time let them sort themselves out. with 1600 litres i can easy have a decent number of fish.

so, reckon adding the ones i have seen in (say 2 or 3 of each) plus maybe one more type? am i kidding myself on how many i can keep in there? just looking for feedback really. only want to get fish that are 6-8cm as any bigger will just smash what i have. also need to act fast as these bad boys are growing far too fast on the food i am giving them.

cheers n thanks for your help :)

Hey Gav,

That's an awesome sounding tank! It's very similar to my 5 x 2 x 2, which has a similar mix in it, including:

Synspilum x 1

Jack Dempsey x 8

H. nicaraguense x 2

Petenia splendida x 2

H. temporalis (Chocolates) x 2

Oscar x 1

Gold Severum x 1

Brasiliensis x 1

Firemouth x 1

Red Hook x 2

Red-bellied Pacu x 1

Spotted metynnis x 2

Gibbiceps x 2

They look stunning and get on really well - no biffo at all.

Your list sounds great, but I would be wary of the festae. Even in a tank that size (which jags would probably even be fine in), a festae can still rule the roost and even kill everyone else. They are amazing fish, but they grow huge and are not called the "Red Terror" for no reason.

As far as the number of fish goes... If everyone gets on, your only concern is the quality of filtration. If that is adequate, then stock 'er up. Start with young fish though so they all grow together.

Chocolate Cichlids are readily available. :)

Cheers,

Andrew.

ok, well it looks like i need to keep an eye out for chocolates then. forgot all about the parrots, they look fantastic when fully grown so will have to grab some.

now its just a matter of finding them. i know i can get a few of what i want retail, but like most here i am somewhat loathe to buy fish retail these days :p

Hey how are you.

I Don't know if you would be interested. But i have a red tiger oscar about 8inches. He has beautiful colouring. $20 if you would like him? Also A breeding pair of convicts. The male is grey and black striped he is about 4 inches and the female is an albino with brilliant orange through her body. She is 2.5 inches. $15 for both. :) Just thought i'd offer. Good luck with your tank!

That is a massive tank. My suggestion is to stock it well to reduce one fish getting aggression. Keep away from Jags and red devils. I use to have A jag red devil and green terror in the same tank 5x2x2. My GT got picked on so I off loaded the Jag and RD. Now I just have a male and female GT in the 5x2x2 and my water is crystal clear no aggression.

hi, good choice to go for americans. i currently have a 6 by 2 by 2 with large cichlids. my jag is biggest and rules the tank. ive found that the only time he gats aggro is when the other fish fight and he breaks it up and controls the tank. my list of fish are 3 trimacs, 1 red devil, 1jack dempsey,1 peacock bass,2 jags,1convict and 2 large oscars.

this is a youtube link if u want to see some of my fish. and they all co exist quite happily. sometimes you just get a fish with serious attitude and they give the rest a bad reputation. but generally my fish are quite happy . but if you asked somebody they probably wouldnt recomend this combination. just depends on their personality and what sex fish you introduce. the most aggressive fish ive ever kept was a female texas cichlid. i had to remove her. now she only shares a breeding tank with a male. anyway goodluck your your fish.

I would go with a big male Green terror, a green and a gold severum. chocolate cichlid an oscar and maybe a couple of firemouths. With a couple of pairs of convicts or sajica or someting similar to patrol the lower levels. pictus cats silver dollars and plecos as dithers. whichever way you go with a tank that size reckon you could get an awesome community together that is still pretty peaceful at the same time. HTH mate. Ben

BTW, Andrew, just wondering if you have any recent pics of your tank?, that list sounds awesome mate lol

Awesome mate very keen to see some lol. There seems to be alot more interest in the american cichlids these days than when i first used to come on here as a kid a few years ago. Its pleasing to see. Dont think it will be much longer before i finally have a tank again when space and time permit. Startin to get the bug again hard lol.

bought some additions

3 jack dempseys

2 green severums

1 synspilum

2 green terrors

4 chocolates

1 polleni

1 bay snook

2 parrots

1 salvini

got the lot at total marine down at moorebank. didnt realise just how big their range of americans was. if you are keen on americans they are WELL worth the visit.

Archived