Calvus Fry

GlennC

My Calvus bred in a shell 11 days ago and the female has stayed in the shell most of the time since. I transferred the shell to another tank (with water from the main tank) and the female has continued to stay in the shell.

The question is, when should I try to recover the fry? I have the shell in a breeding net in case the fry leave the shell.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Glenn

Congrats Mate!

I would not recover the fry just let it in the shell.

What i did with my gold head was after the fry was free swimming, catch the mom and join her together with my male and i am growing the fry in the fry saver.

Btw, when you say you move the shell to another tank, I assume there is no other fish in the tank.

I did not do water water change for one week and only do half of my water change on the following week until the fry growth to 1cm.

I feed the fry the dry brine shrimp, artemia something :lol3: I dont remember the brand.

I got it from Warren.

All the best :thumb

Thanks for the info; I'll leave her in with the shell for as long as she likes to say inside it.

Yeah, I have moved the shell (containing both fry and the mother) into a breeding net, which is located in a tank I set up for fry raising using water from the main tank.

I did fiddle with the shell a bit today and some fry fell out; they still had egg yolks (it's been twelve days now since I actually witnessed the spawning). But, those fry have now disappeared; I hope the mother took them back into the shell. I also just noticed now that there are some moldy eggs in the net; obviously the mother has pulled these out of the shell. She seems like a good mother!

This fish has bred for me twice before, but on those two occasions she left the shell after about three days and all I found were moldy eggs inside the shell. Well, after the second brood I sold the male that was her partner and allowed another Calvus to grow. Fortunately, I had sexed that Calvus correctly and it turned out to be a male who paired with the female. So, these fry are from the new partner, who is beautiful. The Mother is from Melbourne, the father from Sydney.

I'll try and get some brine shrimp food, otherwise they'll be on crushed adult foor and then asap on the smallest mossy wrigglers.

Christ, my Leptosoma just bred again! That's going to complicate my Chrissy holidays!!

Archived