Building a CO2 system, Help please :)

dimka100

Hi Guys,

I would like to build a proper pressurized CO2 system for my new 6 x 2 x 2 tank.

I know that I need a bottle, regulator, diffuser , and bubble counter. However I’m not sure which to get so I don’t end up with components that don’t match and spend an arm and leg.

Bottle - I was thinking of hiring one? Is that a good idea? Where would be a good place in Sydney (near the city)?

Regulator – I seen some for sale on eBay for under $100, what do I need to look out for such that I can connect it to a standard bottle?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I would like to build a proper pressurized CO2 system for my new 6 x 2 x 2 tank.

I know that I need a bottle, regulator, diffuser , and bubble counter. However I’m not sure which to get so I don’t end up with components that don’t match and spend an arm and leg.

Bottle - I was thinking of hiring one? Is that a good idea? Where would be a good place in Sydney (near the city)?

Regulator – I seen some for sale on eBay for under $100, what do I need to look out for such that I can connect it to a standard bottle?

Thanks

Ok...youve entered a bit of a mine field :) but a fun one

Bottle: the two main players as far as I can tell in Sydney are BOC and Supagas. I rent a D size from Supagas. They deliver to your door. You can also buy one but you need to make sure that you can get it refilled

Regulator: the choices here are endless. You can get a plain regulator or one with a solenoid (this can be used to turn the CO2 off at night when you dont need it). You basically get what you pay for here...the cheaper generally the nastier. If your tempted to buy it online (overseas) make sure that it will fit Australian CO2 bottles (not all of them do)...if you buy it from an Aus company then it should fit the Australian CO2 bottles

Diffusor: again the choices are endless. Im currently using an UpAqua inline diffuzor. I got mine from a LFS in Sydney...not sure if I can mention the name here but the shops name has some initials in it and its in Matraville :) . Its probably the best diffusor type thingy Ive used (and Ive used lots of different types)

Bubble counter: yep...youll need one...some of the regulator/solenoids have them built in...some dont

All the bits and pieces should fit together...teh main issue is making sure that teh regulator will fit teh Aus standard bottles

My advice is also to head over to aquariumlife.com.au. Its an Aus site for planted tanks and all the answers your looking for will be found there

Rgeards

Mike

• 1 month later...

Co2 tank = Keg on legs. (cheaper than BOC, no rental fees, just an upfront cost and refill once a year)

Regulator = How much money have you got. If on bugdet maybe give UP Aqua a go. It comes with the solenoid as well and some sell it only about $160-$180 . That is reg and solenoid. There is also warranty with them.

Diffuser? I would go with a combination of inline UP Aqua and a Reactor. Super Super good solution.

Best of luck, but be prepared that you need good soil & Fertiliser more than anything as a start.

Co2 tank - search ebay.com.au for "co2 cylinder" There is a $250 one thats about 10Litres (around 6-7kg) which is a very decent size and probably better value for money than kegking. Also several refill locations in sydney for only 35 which is very good (most lfs charge around $20-30 per kg). Kegking is also an option. Its around $200 a tank upfront and available on ebay or a few brewstores around sydney. Theres brew store in peakhurst that has them and also refills them.

Regulator - Ebay if you willing to take the risk. Worked out fine for me. You will also need a needle valve! But most come with the regulator. Solenoid in my opinion is also a must.

Diffuser - Up-aqua atomizer is a must have in my opinion. I've gone through a few methods and have to say the atomizer is by far the most effective for me.

• 1 month later...

Archived