Black belt cichlids

Citypainter

I put a post in a couple of times with Black Belts for sale.

A breeding pair as well I might add.

There has been no interest shown on this forum.

I am just curious, have they gone out of fashion.

in my opinion they are truly a gr8 fish.

I am moving otherwise I would't even consider selling them. :angry:

Had anyone else had this problem with other species?

I used to have one, it was very aggressive, it used to pick on my Red Devil all the time so the Black Belt had to go. Most people say theyre only fairly aggressive though but IME thats not always the case.

I have two large breeding pairs myself on the Gold Coast. They are one of my favourite american cichlids, bad attitude and all. As they will interbreed with Synspillum, Bifasciatum and Hartwegi, you need to be sure you have purebreds, as there are a lot of crossbreeds around. I was just looking at the old forum and there was a post today asking about black belts. You might want to follow that up.

Cheers, Doug (anitajoy@bigpond.net.au)

Hmmm my blackbelt attacks my venustus (i know afro n americans, not my fault no room :D) so i chase him around with a large net. He runs for his cave and 5 mins later he is back at it again. I feel sorry for the fella as his only territory is a cave in the fully grown tiger oscar territory. Great fish though, one day he will have his own tank.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Dave - I know what you mean. As you know I hve a very large Black Belt

that I wouldnt sell for the world but - over past months I've offered full grown Uaru's and mature Trimacs - all sought after difficult to get at that size fish and got very little interest. I finally sold them to good homes at low prices.

Fact is I think is that with Black Belts - you'll only sell them to an American enthusiast (eliminates half the market), with a large tank with suitable tankmates ( eliminates another 20%) who is willing to put up with their moodiness, food requirements and moodswings (probly eliminates another 20%!)

My local LFS (Crystal Palace) currently has 2 real good looking B/Belts that they cant move because people want to put them into community tanks with neon tetras, guppies and swordtails cos they look pretty!

If I had room for your boys I'd buy them but I dont and thats also part of the problem. American enthusiasts quickly develop in a multi tank setup and just run out of room - we all want to keep everything but cant so we have to settle for keeping 75% of what we'd like to instead of 100%.

Somewhere out there there is someone hanging out for a pair of black belts - you just need to get thru to them. If Classifieds dont work try Trading Post or the Society Auctions. Theyre a great fish - its a real shame people wont pay what theyre worth.

Good luck

Nick

I have an adult, I think Female Black Belt. It is one mean puppy. I have tried it with many different fish over the past 2 years & have decided that it needs to be kept separate. It basically tries to kill anything that moves. You guys are right though in saying they are moody. I put it in my display tank a few months back as a last try with other fish. It was fine for over a week then it turned on everything. Luckly I was home on that particular day.

I to have thought about selling it but it is such a spectacular fish. It just really annoys me to have one fish per tank. I was actually nearly about to put it up for sale this week as I need the space but I cant do it, Maybe one day

Gcichlid, do you have any Uraus for sale anymore as Ive been after one for a while.

Thats funny, i got rid of my blackbelt because all it ever did was hid under a piece of wood, it had no personality.

When it did come out to have a look around it would get the crap beat out of it by my cuban. My little texan that was half it size would even have a go at it.

Beautifull looking fish and i would have kept it and bred it if i had room for another big tank.

But it just wasnt very interesting.

I cant remember the bloke that i sold it too, but if you read this let me know how its doing.

cheers.

Archived