Wooohooo my alto comps are spawning

Guest Panga

Guest Panga

Hi,

I have noticed that my alto comps are spawning.

Im so excited i just had to share this bit of information.

if you have any advice that can help me it will be muchly appreciated

Cheers Troy

LOL no give them to me. laugh.gif

I'll see them in a few weeks mate. Only advice I can offer is to be careful with food when they are fry. I've seen them with their jaws stretched as fry on an improper diet (ie the food was too hard).

Other than that, congrats and best of luck with them mate.

Cheers

Paul

Guest Panga

Willy,

Thx mate

i have a colony of 9 and the smallest would be 3.5cm - 4cm. The largest would be 7cm - 8cm.

The female is about 4.5cm - 5cm and the male is 7cm - 8cm.

I have a definate pair that has been spawning or trying to spawn in a shell. The male has been shaking at the female and then she enters the shell. While the female is in the shell he is at the entrance of the shell shaking. He is also chasing every other comp away from the shell and wont let them close. biggrin.gif

Looks as though i might have another female ready aswell. Her spawning tube is out and she is hanging near another shell ohmy.gif

*fingers crossed*

Cheers Troy

Guest Panga

Here is a few pics for ya.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Ps. Will one male spawn with 2 different females ?

I ask this as it looks like the male thats with the other female is going back and forth between both females......

I have never noticed my male calvus/compressiceps "shaking" at the females, I didn't think altos do that? My female has spawned with the male and is currently guarding a bunch of eggs. However I have never seen the male do the "dance". Am I missing something?

Guest Panga

However I have never seen the male do the "dance". Am I missing something?

i sat and watched him do it and my GF watched aswell. He was definately shaking at her. theres no doubt about it.

Troy biggrin.gif

Guest Panga

Thx Ben. If it wasnt for you i wouldnt have these quality fish cool.gif

Yeah i like to learn as much as i can about them and any other fish i keep biggrin.gif

The more you learn the happier you can make them.

Cheers Troy

Nice one Panga,

The male does release his milt at the entrance of the cave/shell... they are usually secretive so to witness this, your a lucky ..... dry.gif Both the male & female will then fan the eggs, the eggs take about a week to hatch, at that stage i would take em out & raise on there own.

In my case, when I had these the male loved the fry mad.gif which made it tricky..

Good luck & well done. Wheres the cigars???

frenchy smile.gif

Guest Panga

frenchy,

Thanx heaps for your advise. This is a first time for me with these species and i will take any advise i can to help raise some of these little fellas.

I believe keeping the fry alive is the hardest part.

they are usually secretive so to witness this, your a lucky .....

Thx mate. Yeah i was quiet supprised when i seen it happening myself and had to call the GF to look to make sure i wasnt seeing things laugh.gif

Cheers Troy. biggrin.gif

Ps. I did manage to get some avi of the action but its not the best quality. But if anyone wants to see it im sure we could work something out for you to download. i havent uploaded them to download yet as they are 4mb files. but will take the time to do it if people want to see them. biggrin.gif

Guest Makka

Hi Panga , where abouts do you get shells like that ? And are these the type you need to breed Calvus/comps in ? thanks.

Makka.

Guest Panga

Makka,

Ive had these shells for ages. I didnt think they liked those shells as they never used them the whole time ive had the alto comps. I thought the barnicles and larger shells where better for them but havent been able to find any so thats why i used these as i couldnt find any others. But i guess they dont mind them as they have started to use them.

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Archived