Attaching plants to driftwood or rocks

Other Ed

I am wondering if anyone out there can share the secret with me. I have tried to attach anibus (spell?) to driftwood. I wrapped the roots around the wood and tied it down with a bit of black cotton.

The roots ended up a straggly, not like the ones in the shops. I took the string off after a few months and it kind of fell apart. I bought one from the shop and its roots are mostly short and bushy, except one that goes right through the wood and comes out the other side!

So whats the trick? :wacko:

start with baby plants?

trim the roots?

Thanks for sharing. :&

Hi Ed

i have used fishing wire when attaching anubias to rocks or driftwood, it will take some time (months) before they attach to it naturally , i did attach mainly young plants but eventually most sized anubias will attach itself, providing its attached securely with the wire in the first place.

cheers

Hi,

I use either cotton or fishing line (very thin) and tuck some java moss or riccia sp. into the equation. This tends to mask the cotton and also the java moss will attach around the join. :angry:

merjo

Fishing line is good, as it's nearly invisible in water. The commercial one I gather are grown emmersed, with only the wood covered with a fertiliser solution. I actually find anubias to stick very easily to just about anything; most of mine stick in under a month (Anubias Barteri Barteri, Coffeefolia, Nana and apparently Augustifolia (what I thought was Alfezii)).

I use mainly fishing line where i have to ..

Or if the wood has any splits i just tuck a couple of the root pieces into them to hold the plant in place..

I have trimmed excess roots on some of the plants to keep it looking neater, so far have had no problems with trimming and growth rate has been the same as the untrimmed ones ..

• 1 month later...

Archived