Looking for new species for tank

intern1

Im looking to add something a bit different to my breeding set up currently i got a small colony of afra cobues 2 males 7 females (6-8cm) and 5 juvie protemlas tangerine tigers (6-8cm). Looking for a different species was thinking something like a kadango but they grow to large i think does anyone have any other thoughts, the tank is a standard 4 ft

John

Funny that....while i was reading the original post, Lwandas came to mind aswell.

They are an awesome fish!!

I have an Awesome male and a bunch of females which are all happily breeding away and a bunch

of fry which are doing quite well. (touch wood).

The Tangerine Tiger's will get to the same size or larger then the kadangos, I dont know why you are them getting to big. The Tangerines will be to big for your tank by the time they are fully grown.

Are you sure they were Kadango's?You know there are other Copadichromis species that are red, that aren't Kadango's? Never seen them this big and i've had them for the last 9 years, nor have i seen any around this size.Even good it most say max size is 16cms even though the biggest i've had was approx 20cms.

tangerine tigers dont get to the same size as kadangos they are roughly 10cm smaller plus a smaller tank will dwarf the fish

1) Don't ask for advice if your going to dispute it without the proper knowledge.

2) If you also believe that it is ok for fish to be crammed into tanks to stunt growth I don't think you deserve to keep the fish in the first place. It's maybe ok for someone with no fish keeping experiance to think, but seeing as you keep and breed fish I thought you would know better.

tangerine tigers dont get to the same size as kadangos they are roughly 10cm smaller plus a smaller tank will dwarf the fish

1) Don't ask for advice if your going to dispute it without the proper knowledge.

2) If you also believe that it is ok for fish to be crammed into tanks to stunt growth I don't think you deserve to keep the fish in the first place. It's maybe ok for someone with no fish keeping experiance to think, but seeing as you keep and breed fish I thought you would know better.

firstly mate if i have seen a fish with my own eyes at one size i am not disputing anything i am stating a fact

secondly placing a fish in an aquarium will can make the fish not grow to full size compared to the wild because the amount of room the fish has to swim i dont believe placing a fish of that size in a 4ft should instigate that type of criticism clearly you dont understand the context of what is being said so it is better to ask someone before accusing

they were at the nsw cichlid auction the male was 30cm female was 25cm. if you got fry for the kadangos i will be interested

Which nsw cichlid auction did you go to mate? As far as I know the one I went to last Saturday, there was nothing at 30cm, not even at 25cm, and I sat through the whole auction.

they were at the nsw cichlid auction the male was 30cm female was 25cm. if you got fry for the kadangos i will be interested

Which nsw cichlid auction did you go to mate? As far as I know the one I went to last Saturday, there was nothing at 30cm, not even at 25cm, and I sat through the whole auction.

the major auction there was because it was from tank aquariums and i know its true because the owner pm me saying i got a pair of kidangos at this size. I saw them go through myself

firstly mate if i have seen a fish with my own eyes at one size i am not disputing anything i am stating a fact

secondly placing a fish in an aquarium will can make the fish not grow to full size compared to the wild because the amount of room the fish has to swim i dont believe placing a fish of that size in a 4ft should instigate that type of criticism clearly you dont understand the context of what is being said so it is better to ask someone before accusing

You have seen two kadangas that 'may' have been 30cm. That does not mean that is the normal, nor does that mean tangerine tigers grow 10cm smaller.

I understand what your saying quite well - you believe it is ok to place a fish in a situation where they cannot reach their full size. I disagree. In captivity freshwater fish (Excluding the monsters) should be able to reach a larger size then in the wild. They should have more food available and the tanks they are in should be able to accomodate for their full size. Cramming them into a tank is not what I'd deem acceptable. Especially when you have knowledge about what it will do (Stunt the growth)

The trouble that I see here is that you may inadvertently end up with crossbreeds given the small swimming space. In saying that I have not kept these together before so I am not 100% sure what would happen. Although they may not live that long because of aggression. Big Kadango males can be grumpy fish and if you say you have seen them up to 30cm they won't fit into 4' tank with 13 afra's and 5-6 tangerine tigers (even if they only reach your maximum size of 10cm).

If I were you I would:

a) leave it as is

b) get more tanks

c) move tangerine tigers and get yellows or get little demons in there.

HTH

Rosco

I have to agree with mcloughlin2. Fish in Aquariums tend to grow to a larger size then in the wild due to the food we feed them.

A 30cm Kandango would be a freak and probably a one off. Tank Aquariums had them advertised at 20cm+.

Archived