Callochromis stappersi (new photo added)

Willy Wombat

Hey guys - just after a little info on Callochromis stappersi. I know they are pretty rare (and not cheap), but can you tell me if you have kept, or currently keep this species.

(A tang sand sifter).

Im after any info.

Cheers

WW

I got one over the weekend.

I have attached a few photos. Let me know if you like him.

Callochromis stappersi photos

Very beautiful, sparkly fish, difficult to photo as the silver colours are always reflecting back at you when using the flash.

Shame no-one could give me any info on this fish. My first impressions are that he is a very active feeder - will even rise to the top of the tank to eat pellets floating on the top. Always moving too - never sits still.

WW -

I have kept C. pleurospilus - which is similar.

They were relatively easy to keep - ate anything and spawned a number of times in relatively small deep pits. I had a group of 6-8 (cant remember exactly how many) and had a large dominant male and at least one other male in a 4x2x2 with no aggression troubles.

I lost my whole group and fry to whitespot introduced to the tank with a new fish sadsmiley02.gif.

Willy -

It produced some tears (well - almost).

I lost 4 gobies (T. irscae)

Many Ectodus descampsii + the C. pleurospilus

All in one day - gasping... the next day the 6 remaining C. borleyi were festooned with WS. But the day of the deaths there was no evidence of anything wrong. I assume the gills of the tangs were covered in white spot.

Was not a good time.

Hi Willy,

Lovely fish...I had a few C. melanostigma a couple of years ago, but sadly lost them. They just seemed to waste away sadsmiley02.gif I haven't seen them anywhere since. If you source any Callochromis spp., I would be interested in trying them again.

merjo

Fiona - very good spotting there - i did get two. The second one is much smaller, and has not coloured up yet, still has some growing to do. I would be very happy if it turns out to be a female, but i do not know how to sex this species? Sorry for focussing so much on the bigger one, his colours must have mesmerised me! huh.gif

Marjo - i will let you know if i hear of any more Callochromis being available. biggrin.gif

Yew - I loved the use of the word festooned to describe the condition of white spot. Very accurate. Im sure many people on this board can appreciate the anguish felt following a disease outbreak. I also have three Ectodus descampsii in the tank with these fish. Another very impressive fish. i hope the two species live in harmony.Have you also bred this species?

Cheers

WW

My trio of Callochromis pleurospilus is breeding pretty well. I will try and post up some pics.

I have found them a very rewarding fish to keep, very interesting behaviour.

I may have fry available soon - I'll advertise in the classifieds when I do.

CB - please do. I would like to see the pictures. Are they very aggressive towards other fish in the tank when breeding? Info appreciated. Also - are they easy to sex boy fish from girl fish?

Archived