Cure for bloat

benfarrow

Hi all,

Home from work today to find a dead Eretmodus Cyanostictus and C. Furcifer Mbete. Does anyone have a miracle cure for bloat? Over the years I have tried many treatments, all giving me what I would call unsatisfactory results. The latest is some sort of yellow powder, I can’t remember what it’s called, but it gives me better results then everything else I have tried. I know the best cure is prevention but sometimes things just go wrong. If anyone can point me in the right direction or even sell me something it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

R.I.P

Eretmodus Cyanostictus

C. Furcifer Mbete

:cryblow:

The yellow powder is a broad spectrum anti-biotic called Furan 2. It is usually used in conjuction with Metronidazole or Clout if you can get it. Be careful when using Furan 2, it is very powerful and can cause permanent damage to organs if the treatments are too prolonged.

The yellow powder is a broad spectrum anti-biotic called Furan 2. It is usually used in conjuction with Metronidazole or Clout if you can get it. Be careful when using Furan 2, it is very powerful and can cause permanent damage to organs if the treatments are too prolonged.

thats it, it can not be the best though?

It does work, but it just has to be used carefully. I know a few people who have had good success treating Tropheus bloat with it in conjunction with Metro. I have also read that it is no longer available here because it may be carcinogenic to humans. I would recommend wearing gloves if handling it. Follow the link in my signature for info on where to buy and recommended treatment regimens.

Bloat doesnt kill a fish over night. Try finding the cause of your problem and it will make things easier to treat. If you are treating for bloat and it isnt bloat then you are wasting your time and it wont work

josh

i read a little while ago that overfeeding can cause bloat. is this correct??? i feed my fish sparingly of an evening and morning and have never had any problems. thats not to say its the only cause.

There is plenty of reason why fish get bloat, over feeding, feeding wrong food, poor water quality, and stress, just to name a few. I have even heard fish getting bloat when a dog barked at the tank!

Bloat doesnt kill a fish over night. Try finding the cause of your problem and it will make things easier to treat. If you are treating for bloat and it isnt bloat then you are wasting your time and it wont work

josh

Yeah your right bloat doesn’t kill over night, a diligent fish keeper would pick up on the problem before it turned lethal, but, this is where I post plenty of excuses and reasons why I ignored the fish.

thats it, it can not be the best though?

Hi there - sorry to hear of your losses :cryblow:

No - what we have on offer here is certainly not 'the best' there is but the only thing that we can get our hands on - everything else has been removed off the market in Oz in the main due to carcenogenic proprties.

Bloat treatments work best as preventative measures when fish are still eating and can consume the meds and a dual attack needed eg metro + furan2. Remember that it is only in the final stages of bloat that we physically see the abdominal swelling.

I have injected meds into fish but this is time consuming and stresses the fish even more.

Except for Clout the tablet products do not dissolve and sit in the tank until the filter consumes them.

Clout causes its own probs - I drip it in when needed as dosing the tank with the whole quanity has caused many deaths as well.

Not to much light at the end of the bloat tunnel unfortunately - like all things prevention really IS better than any cure we have.

Archived