What should I choose

fullychichlid

Sorry to burst your bubble a bit, but I'm not entirely confident that a standard 5ft is big enough for either species. Remember, the tank is only 14" wide and whatever you have in there needs to be able to turn around.

Biggest I would go for in that size is Jaguar (managuense), but even that's probably too big.

What other species are you thinking of?

Andrew.

If you're going to keep a display dovii or jag, there probably aren't many (if any) SAs that can live with it and survive the first day out...lol

If you want more than one SA in the tanks, a great idea would be salvinii - The Pocket Battleship. These guys are incredible colours, mean predatory faces and while they vigorously defend their territory, they seem to co-exist with cichlids that look different enough e.g. severums, synspilum, oscars, etc. Anything that resembles them (even remotely) will be toast, but other med - lge peaceful guys that can hold their own should be alright.

Remember that jags and dovii guard huge territories very aggressively. Even females of these species can be a bit too much for normally robust tankmates. They're awesome fish, but they just need so much space!

Cheers mate,

Andrew.

Nice fish! Excellent choice! He'll grow to a very impressive size and will look stunning. :)

Who knows... Maybe you might find a gurrrrlfriend for him one of these days. If you see a top notch female, grab her and make sure they're divided until ready to breed. There is no shortage of rivulatus, BUT there is a huge shortage of top quality ones from what I have seen...

Nice fish! Excellent choice! He'll grow to a very impressive size and will look stunning. :)

Who knows... Maybe you might find a gurrrrlfriend for him one of these days. If you see a top notch female, grab her and make sure they're divided until ready to breed. There is no shortage of rivulatus, BUT there is a huge shortage of top quality ones from what I have seen...

Thanks mate

My GT is a real good looker ( might be biased) have a look at my pic of him in my profile. I had him in my mbuna tank ( he is very placid) and i think there was too much action in there for him. So I have put him in the 5fter, i think he enjoys his own company for a while.

Thanks

GT in the pic doesn't look too bad, would be nice to see a few more pic's of him as it looks like you can focus your camera pretty well. Amazed you say how placid he is. How big is he?

GT in the pic doesn't look too bad, would be nice to see a few more pic's of him as it looks like you can focus your camera pretty well. Amazed you say how placid he is. How big is he?

Thanks for the comments.. He is about 16 cm at the moment. He is very placid doesnt pick on anyone at all. I use to have him with a red devil and a Jag in a 5 x2 x2 but they picked on him too much and beat him up. I sold the devil and jag.

GT is our friend and we are attached to him. I will keep him alone I felt sick when the other SA beat him up.

Cia

Red devils are true to name.Black belt (maculicauda)or an Umbi (umbeliferum) green terrors(aequidens rivulatus)all seriously aggressive.Then there are the more peace loving larger fish,severums,Uarus,and the lovely eartheaters eg red capped rio tapajos are sensational.So many fish never enough tanks

There are always exceptions to the rule - I have met some very placid and peaceful devils, jags, GTs, etc. I've also known quite a large number of placid black belts... I guess they are as individual as we are in some respects. Likewise, I have met some shockingly behaved severums, eartheaters and other species that are reputed to be generally placid...

However, these are always the exception to the rule and don't forget, any shift in the balance may cause your peaceful specimen to become a total grump! lol

But before we get too far OTT... Yes, he is a very nice specimen - congrats and well chosen!!

Archived