Big tanks

benfarrow

Just a thought, how BIG is your tank? Who sells these? I'm personally after a 10ftx3x3 (or bigger) but my local has informed me that I would be looking at $15k! I understand the weight and size means it would be a problem to move but there must be a way.

Just a thought, how BIG is your tank? Who sells these? I'm personally after a 10ftx3x3 (or bigger) but my local has informed me that I would be looking at $15k! I understand the weight and size means it would be a problem to move but there must be a way.

that size tank would probably get made in your home. 15k does seem a bit steep.

Here's a link with a 9' I think, it's not all glass so would be alot cheaper to build:

http://westerncichlids.com.au/diy-plywood-...rium-1757-ltrs/

mate it might cost you 15k once your finished buying everything

eg:filters , sumps , cabenets , lights and decor

your better of getting a 2nd hand one , when they come up for sale

try and get a price from st georg aquarium in rockdale

Good luck

Only problem with second hand is they tend to leak! Now combine 10 years of pressure with a big move in the back of a truck = 2000L all over the ground, along with some gasping fish. Can you recondition a tank?

Personally if I was going to invest in a "Big" tank

I'd have it built in a powder coated steel frame.....Like this!!!

You can build them All glass with just silicon joints ....but that's too risky for my liking

Foundations are extremely important for big tanks....any slight movement can spell disaster!!

A lot of very big tanks are made from perspex because it's lighter

If you use glass they need to be built insitu as they are too heavy to move

you can get away with 19mm base and 15mm sides...

Don't build to minimum standards.

IF something goes wrong with a smaller tank, say standard 4', it's a bit of water but not a big deal. If something goes wrong with 2000 litres of water, you might be looking at renting accommodation for yourself while the house dries.

You need to upscale your thinking and by all means do it as cheaply as you can, but don't cut quality as it will cost you much more to fix it later on if indeed it can be fixed.

Tanks of this size are built on site.

$15 thousand including other on costs such as mentioned by hopper would be a good ball park. Your biggest hurdle will be finding a person to make it, and make it well.

My 2000 l is made from 19mm glass, sitting on 50mm tubular galvanised steel (the metal alone cost around $500 unmade if I remember correctly.

I got a 2nd hand 10x2.5x2.5 about a year ago and 10 blokes to move it as its very heavy.

The front glass broke in the move so i took the tank striaght to st george aquariums and got laurie to replace the front glass and he also re-inforced the whole tank and used the old front glass to re-brace the top of the tank as the old brace wasn't adequate , he and his boys did a fantastick job.

Laurie is probably the oldes in the game and has built very large tanks and dosn't take short cuts , he also has 30+ years under his belt and comes highly recomeded .

I'd usually agree with you CT, however 15k for just the tank is absurd. You can get a 10 x 2.5 x 2.5 for around the $1500 mark (tank alone). Most people consider that a massive tank and its usually built out of 12mm glass...not that id agree with that (Im no advocate of building to minimum glass thicknesses whether its a small or large tank)...but most tank builders would build it from 12mm.

Speaking to many tank makers in the past, they advised me that a 3ft wide and deep tank would need minimum 15mm glass with preferably a 19mm base. Realistically a 10 x 3 x 3 should cost around the $3000k mark maxiumum (not built onsite and factoring the big price increase jump for the glass thickness).

Built on site shouldnt cost more than $4000, unless your being severly ripped off. Remember this tank is only 6 inches higher and wider than a 10 x 2.5 x 2.5 which most tank makers will happily make.

Ive experienced in the past that most tank makers dont want to make extra large tanks or tanks built on site...they have enough business with 'regular' sized tanks, so they quote big just to scare you off that size. How can any tank maker justify 15 k for a tank that is only 15 cm wider and higher than a 10 x 2.5 x 2.5 which you can buy for a maximum of $1500.

Ive talked to Laurie at St George Aquariums a few times re building me a 12 x 3 x 3, I cant remember the exact figure, but he quoted me around the $6k mark.

Im talking about tank only prices, not cabinets, hoods etc.

I'd usually agree with you CT,

So you're the one :blink:lol3:

What I said was;

$15 thousand including other on costs such as mentioned by hopper

Note the;

other on costs
- that's where the money really steps in and adds up.

My 2900 x 640 x 1050 out of 19mm glass cost $4940.00, but the total cost was over 10 grand. There is no point in just buying a fish tank, you got to have all the gear thatgoes with it, sump, water pump, plumbing, stand etc as you'ld realise. So if a person is wondering if they can afford a BIG tank or not, this is the cost they have to decide it upon not just the cost of the raw tank.

Ive experienced in the past that most tank makers dont want to make extra large tanks or tanks built on site...

I agree with that, which was why I said;

Your biggest hurdle will be finding a person to make it, and make it well.

take note of the last four words. Doing this may be near impossible.

Craig

Hey Craig

I totally agree with you mate

I got my tank ( glass tank only ) of a mate for free

and by the time i was finshed getting the rest of the stuff it set me back eazy about 7k and i was hopping to get away with just 2k tops :confused: but at the end my fish are very :lol4: and my tank looks great , it was well worth it at the end ..

and now im getting the itch as you do , to spend more money and change the decore again .. its never ending ..

only one way for the boys or girls to find out , is to get into it and do the sums when they finish :clap

and now im getting the itch as you do , to spend more money and change the decore again .

I NEVER get the "itch" to spend money :blink, sometimes I get the itch to get something else/new and it's an unavoidable side effect that I have to (reluctantly) part with...it though :lol3: .

I rarely muck about changing decor either. My big tank for example has not had a rock moved since the day it was set up four years or so back. I believe that as cichlids form territories around the decor/rocks I am asking for friction between the fish to do so.

and by the time i was finshed getting the rest of the stuff it set me back eazy about 7k

That's the truth :thumb

only one way for the boys or girls to find out , is to get into it and do the sums when they finish

Alternatively write down all the gear you want then price it before purchase and add it up then multiply the sum by 2 (?) for all the bits and pieces that you've forgotten to add. At least be realistic and know that it will cost, and cost more for the fact all the gear has to be upgraded to "BIG" to match the tank.

what type of fish are you gonna put in there?

The other day I was offered to purchase the following, 2x 11.5x2x3 on a rack with 2 4x2x2 sumps and all plumbing. The only catch is that these tanks are old. How old exactly is unknown he bought them second hand 4 years ago and this is all that is clear. Another problem is not only will I need about 13 people to lift these things, the second and probably more important point is what are the chances of a successful move i.e. no broken or leaking tanks! The seller is asking $2600 for the lot as he is moving shortly and needs them gone. Another thing to think about is that for this money I could buy 4 brand new 8x2x2.

I was planning on keeping some large tangs, though I have since been told that 8x2x2 are more than big enough for most tangs.

The other day I was offered to purchase the following, 2x 11.5x2x3 on a rack with 2 4x2x2 sumps and all plumbing. The only catch is that these tanks are old. How old exactly is unknown he bought them second hand 4 years ago and this is all that is clear. Another problem is not only will I need about 13 people to lift these things, the second and probably more important point is what are the chances of a successful move i.e. no broken or leaking tanks! The seller is asking $2600 for the lot as he is moving shortly and needs them gone. Another thing to think about is that for this money I could buy 4 brand new 8x2x2.

I was planning on keeping some large tangs, though I have since been told that 8x2x2 are more than big enough for most tangs.

mate go with the 8x2x2 its a little cheaper but its never big enough and to tell you the truth if you have the room you will always want a biger tank

ps ask how much the 11ft tank would cost to re-build

nah its to heavy to move , its not worth the trouble

good luck with your decision

mate go with the 8x2x2 its a little cheaper but its never big enough and to tell you the truth if you have the room you will always want a biger tank

ps ask how much the 11ft tank would cost to re-build

nah its to heavy to move , its not worth the trouble

good luck with your decision

There is truth in what you say hopper.

I would say only put a big tank in a house you own or are paying off.

I'd also say a BIG tank has a WOW :shock: factor, but also the fish are easier to keep (less aggression issues), and can behave in more natural manner. It is well worth the effort if you're at the time of life were your life is more stable.

I'd also emphasise the importance in hight in a big tank. It changes fish behavour / territorialism from 2-D to 3-D.

Archived