Alto Comp fry survival

kilroy

Hi all,

A pair of my Alto Comp Gold Heads have bred a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realise straight away, so when I transferred the remaining fry from the shell to a frysaver, I only managed to save about 8 of them.

There are at least another dozen still in the tank. They are extremely small so it is hard to tell how many. I have removed all other fish (except the parents) to another tank. Just wondering what the chances are of the fry in the tank surviving? I have read about these guys being hard to raise, as well as their extremely slow growth rate. Any tips or info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shane

Hi all,

A pair of my Alto Comp Gold Heads have bred a couple of weeks ago. I didn't realise straight away, so when I transferred the remaining fry from the shell to a frysaver, I only managed to save about 8 of them.

There are at least another dozen still in the tank. They are extremely small so it is hard to tell how many. I have removed all other fish (except the parents) to another tank. Just wondering what the chances are of the fry in the tank surviving? I have read about these guys being hard to raise, as well as their extremely slow growth rate. Any tips or info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shane

hi shane comgrats on the spawn its hard to say if the parents will eat the fry. the fry that ypu saved won't like big water changes. there groth rate is very slow i've got some 1cm goldhead comps and they would have to be 3.5 to 4 months old. i feed them frozen baby brine shrimp and crushed up flake food. hope this helps ben

Hi all,

Thanks

Shane

hi shane comgrats on the spawn its hard to say if the parents will eat the fry. the fry that ypu saved won't like big water changes. there groth rate is very slow i've got some 1cm goldhead comps and they would have to be 3.5 to 4 months old. i feed them frozen baby brine shrimp and crushed up flake food. hope this helps ben

Thanks for the reply. They seem to be hanging in there. I'm feeding crushed brine shrimp flake and ground up NLS. What number of free swimming fry do you usually get when they breed?

cheers

shane

Hi Shane, congrats on the fry. I used to get about 50 fry with my gold comps. I used to flush the shell into a fine mesh fry saver and had pretty low survival (20%). They were feed bbs until big enough to eat crushed flake.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys. I would say these guys are probably around a month old and are still very tiny. I'm limiting my water changes to about 10% weekly.

I have bred firefins, and the mortality rate from fry attacking one another is quite high... well that's when kept in a fry saver anyway. I have had some instances where maybe 5 fry become dominant and attack the rest... other times I have had up to 20 survive

Archived