can i use sponge instead of Dacron

fullychichlid

Hi Guys

A quick question. Can I use aquarium safe sponge from clark rubber on the top layer of my sump instead of dacron. It would seem easier to clean more durable and less messy as it lays across my bio balls. I am getting alot of waste at the bottom of my sump which i drain out weekly.

Thanks guys :thumbup:

i do. i replaced all my dacron with sponge a few months ago and havent looked back. when i want to clean it i just take it out the fornt and blast it with the hose, then put it back in. i bought mine from a foam shop, if theres one in your area you can go in and ask for filter foam, thats what its called funnily enough. mines ten cms thick, it wasnt cheap but when you weigh it up against the cost of filter wool- which you have toconstantly renew, it works out well. plus the added bilogical filtration is insane. you can also cut it fit tightly into each chamber so nothing but water can pass through. i had the same problem with waste fidning its way torugh my dacron and into my matirx, not any more. :thumb

i do. i replaced all my dacron with sponge a few months ago and havent looked back. when i want to clean it i just take it out the fornt and blast it with the hose, then put it back in. i bought mine from a foam shop, if theres one in your area you can go in and ask for filter foam, thats what its called funnily enough. mines ten cms thick, it wasnt cheap but when you weigh it up against the cost of filter wool- which you have toconstantly renew, it works out well. plus the added bilogical filtration is insane. you can also cut it fit tightly into each chamber so nothing but water can pass through. i had the same problem with waste fidning its way torugh my dacron and into my matirx, not any more. :thumb

Thanks

I will be off tomorrow to get some :thumbup:

Archived