What are the odds?

wui39

I bought over 25 juvenile N. venustus quite a while back and ended up with only 3 definate females, and one other possible female who was killed before I had a mouthful to be sure. So that leaves me with 21 males (20 to offload) I sold alot of sub-adult male venustus to people with display tanks laugh.gif

Guest Gutty

Out of 6 Dimi comps i got only 1 female.............who got eaten by her brother..........leaving only males unsure.gif

In the past i've tried about 15 times to pick a Red empress male for my display tank from a bunch of juvies...........out of 15 picks i got 15 girls blush.gif

I have heard the myth of the all male Severum brood.

Where the myth is male brood members kill off all female brood members at a extreme young age. This is yet to be proved. I welcome any severum breeders for there input.

I actually put this myth down to the fact that sexing Severums at an early stage is hard and because they either dont show signs of pairing or wait till a ripe old age before breeding the breeder determines them to be all one sex.

Yes its possible to pick all males especially if you picked the largest fry from the batch.

If you want a good ratio of M/F I always pick the 2 of the largest fry and the smallest/medium healthyest fry in the tank. This guarntees male to female ratio in good numbers 8 (2/6 3/5 4/4) 12(2/10 3/9 4/8 5/7).

Archived