shell dwellers

juzzo_5913

i have a pair of Lamprologus ocellatus "Gold", and im really sure they have (or about to breed), i keep 4 lion heads,2 electric yellows, 2 electric blues, 2 frontosas a morry and a gold spot Plecostomus, i was wondering how the fry are going to react with these fish? do i need to put them in a net please help?

also how long is it untill i would have to take the fry out if i need to move them?

Your worried how the fry will be with these fish :B

I would be worried how the adult Ocellatus would be

with what you have in the tank cause as soon as they

figure they will fit the mouth it will be a toss up between

Frontosa and Electric blues as to who will eat them first

I hope these other fish are only juveniles

do the Ocellatus a favour and give them a 2 ft tank to

themselves then there is no worry

Chris

The other issue is that most free swimming shellie fry will just swim through the net fry saver (they are really small) ...youll need to use an ice cream container floater one or remove them completly from the tank....

and also what Chris said...longer term the mix is probably not the best

Mike

all the fish in my tank are all young the only adult fish are the two lamprologus ocellatus, i have a smaller 2ft tank that has some neon tetras and sorted other fish, so instead of buying a breeding net your saying i should place the shell, sand and tank water into a icecream container or something that can hold water and place it on the tank to float?

sorry for all the questions im new to breeding fish and i dont like to fail at anything i do.

This is a good link for a DIY fry saver...I use these but just dont have the air lift section

http://www.iluvguppies.com/diy_fry_saver.htm

The issue here is that many/all of the fry will probably (it does depend on the parents ability to protect the fry, the amount of cover etc) will get picked off by the other fish in the tank.

The ideal thing would be to remove the fry to a fry (but keep them in the original tank) saver or another tank BUT your second tank sounds like its setup for standard tropical fish and not the harder water, higher ph loving shelldwellers. Shellie fry can be very sensitive to sudden change in water conditions and are also very sensitive to non optimal water conditions so you may not have enough time to setup another tank.

I would make a fry saver and set them up in the same tank. You can just remove the whole shell along with the mother and put her in the fry saver. I would wait until Im sure that there are fry though, you should see them venturing out from the shell and then scooting back in again when they get a fright.

Now would also be the time to get your live BBS going and also setup some microworms for an emergency.

regards

Mike

Archived