what kind of filter is this

azzah

now I know this is a Hang on filter but was curious as to one particular part of it

Don't pay attention to how dirty it is, it has been sitting around in my garage doing nothing for quite some time.

in the top left hand corner is that a surface skimmer?

IPB Image

Here is a close up of that particular part

IPB Image

It looks like a protein skimmer. The skimmer is all but useless in a fresh water tank.

I actually think Strictly aquariums sells them. I looked at them when I was setting up my marine tank.

That's a protein skimmer... :yes:

Works well in marine tanks.....put an airstone in the middle and foam of organic waste is formed at the top and falls into the cup around the top

Doesn't work efficiently in freshwater aquaria....water needs to be very hard and alkaline

It looks like a protein skimmer. The skimmer is all but useless in a fresh water tank.

I actually think Strictly aquariums sells them. I looked at them when I was setting up my marine tank.

This one is branded majestic aquariums

I assume surface skimmer and protein skimmer means the same thing so the next question is

I'm converting my 6x2x2 to marine will that be fine as my surface/protein skimmer or will I need a better one? It won't be used for filtration I have a 4 foot matrix sump for that so all it is needed for is

A matrix style sump is NOT an effective filtration unit for a marine tank. The design of these filters allows for the growth of aerobic bacteria that convert ammonia - nitrite effectively but it also allows for the buildup of nitrate because there is no place for the growth of anaerobic which convert nitrate - nitrogen gas which diffuses out of the water. The reason you need to have a filter that accomodates anaerobic bacteria is that marine fish and invertebrates are very sensitive to nitrate. In a freshwater tank nitrate is tolerated more and can be removed with frequent water changes, however on a SW tank unless you live near a suitable location to collect SW from it is inpractical to think you can control nitrates via water changes.

Most people design their sump to accomodate a deep sand bed, refugerium or an algae scrubber. Here is a brief overview of each:

Deep sand bed - A layer of fine sand at least 10cm that has water flowing slowly over the top of it.

Refugerium - Compartment of your sump that grows marco algae. Algae consumes nitrate but to remove it from the system you need to regularly cut it bac.

Algae scrubber - A fine mesh place in the sump upon which you trickle water over the top to grow algae. It is clean weakly to remove nitrates from the system and in my opinion is the cheapest and by far the most effective way of achieving zero nitrates in both SW and FW systems!

To address your original question as i often get sidetracked, no that surface skimmer is far too small. You want one several times larger then that to remove dissolved organic compounds, phenol oils, and other yellowing agents that dirty the water and they also don't remove nitrate at all. Or you could use an algae scrubber and you won't need one AT ALL! :yes:

Basically what I'm trying to say is a marine tank will eventually die after a few months unless proper filtration is employed.

A matrix style sump is NOT an effective filtration unit for a marine tank. The design of these filters allows for the growth of aerobic bacteria that convert ammonia - nitrite effectively but it also allows for the buildup of nitrate because there is no place for the growth of anaerobic which convert nitrate - nitrogen gas which diffuses out of the water. The reason you need to have a filter that accomodates anaerobic bacteria is that marine fish and invertebrates are very sensitive to nitrate. In a freshwater tank nitrate is tolerated more and can be removed with frequent water changes, however on a SW tank unless you live near a suitable location to collect SW from it is inpractical to think you can control nitrates via water changes.

I'm happy to spend extra if that surface skimmer isn't big enough the tax man has been very nice to me this year.

Also I was already planning on my substrate being a deep sand bed.

I'd definitely recommend a larger skimmer.

A problem when you have a DSB in your main tank is if your fish or invertebraes ever disturb it you risk the release of poisoness gaes such as sulphur dioxide. But hey I'm sure you've looked into that. :)

Actually what are the measurements of it? It maybe okay pending on stocking levels/whether you keep corals. What tank setup will it be?

I am sure the one from strictly's aren't big enough to run a tank that size. If you have the money buy a bigger unit. I run my DSB in my sump with macro included. Its a good compromise.

I'd definitely recommend a larger skimmer.

A problem when you have a DSB in your main tank is if your fish or invertebraes ever disturb it you risk the release of poisoness gaes such as sulphur dioxide. But hey I'm sure you've looked into that. :)

Actually what are the measurements of it? It maybe okay pending on stocking levels/whether you keep corals. What tank setup will it be?

the tank is 6x2x2 and I plan on setting up a decent amount of live rock. The local aquarium has said they will give me $500 for the rock I currently have in it and I plan on spending the majority of that $500 on live rock and in a month or 2 I will start adding coral.

The actual surface skimmer filter is approx 30cm(w)x10cm(d)x30cm(h) and has a 1000 lph pump but I do have a 3000 lph that fits it.

Archived