Housing fry

Frenzy

Howdy pardners

Looking for some experienced views on the subject of housing fry. I've got a bit of a breed-a-thon happening at mine and am collecting quite a few fry.

The difficulty is that they are different species and all different sizes.

I have week old fueliborni (9-10mm)

Also have 2 week old A Cobues at about (9-10mm)

I have a dozen E. Yellows in a tumbler that are fast using up their yolk sacs.

I have A Cobue around 1.5 cms in a 90 litre cube.

I have a 4 footer with E.Yellows, A Cobue, Cobalts and rustys ranging in size from 2 to 4 cms.

I also have a shell full of brevis babies that I want to rehouse soon.

I really don't want a fry war with heavy losses by putting the wrong ones in together but am not that sure how to mix this lot.

Mainly concerned with what to do with the E Yellows to be honest.

I'm running out of tanks LOL.

The fueliborni seem to be quite fast growing. I have them in a little 20 litre tank right now. Do peeps think these could move into the 90 litre with the A Cobs?

Mate, I have my 2cm+ fry in a 4fter, my 1 (ish) -2cm in 2ft tanks, and my <1.5 (ish)cm in fry savers.

Some people would love to have the problem you have! Too many fry and nowhere to put them.

Bruce

Mate, I have my 2cm+ fry in a 4fter, my 1 (ish) -2cm in 2ft tanks, and my <1.5 (ish)cm in fry savers.

Some people would love to have the problem you have! Too many fry and nowhere to put them.

Bruce

HAHA

bruce, this has got but more tanks written all over it then hasn't it.

I've actually got one of those cheapo Go Lo tanks with the "newborns" in right now. One or 2 more of them might do the trick for now I guess.

easy solution

i had this problem before and fixed by making larger fry savers

i bought plastic containers from bunnings which were 40cmL X20cmW X10cmH

I then drilled 70mm holes in each end covered with fly screen (attach with silicone)

on each corner stuck foam to float it

it gives the fry enough room to swim around but i notice feeding them well in a tight area they grew faster and they caught up to older fry faster

give it a go it help me out

hope this helps you

cheers Gerard

easy solution

i had this problem before and fixed by making larger fry savers

i bought plastic containers from bunnings which were 40cmL X20cmW X10cmH

I then drilled 70mm holes in each end covered with fly screen (attach with silicone)

on each corner stuck foam to float it

it gives the fry enough room to swim around but i notice feeding them well in a tight area they grew faster and they caught up to older fry faster

give it a go it help me out

hope this helps you

cheers Gerard

Thanks Gerard

Worth a try I'd reckon

Matt

Definately agree on the note that when you have the fry in smaller areas the grow a whole lot faster... they seem to consume the food much more readily than when in a larger area.

Archived