Demasoni killing each other

peter.ng79

That's demasoni for you Peter. They are very aggressive.

What size tank are you keeping them in? Are they in with anything else?

I started with 15 juvies in a 3ft with 8 electric yellow juvies. They attacked each other and the demasoni were reduced to 7 fish, but the yellows were fine.

I moved these 7 into a 4ft tank with a heap of fry from other species. I added another 20 demasoni juvies to the group and never lost a fish. They began to breed and all was looking good. The fry of other species were fine too. On ocassion, there would have been 150 odd fish in the tank. There were a couple of tile caves in the tank, but otherwise it was bare.

Eventually they got to a size where they needed their own tank. They are in a 4x18x18 with 6 leleupi juvies. I originally had just a couple of rocks and two tile caves. All was good with lots of breeding. I decided to add a heap of rock to make it look nice and to see what would happen. I have 8 males in my colony, and now that they all had territory to defend, they began to attack each other again. I lost 2 fish. I removed most of the rock again, back to the few rocks and two caves. Everything is back to normal now and the fish are looking good and breeding again. The two larger males sit in the caves and the others float around with the females.

This has been my experience with them. Hope this helps.

Good luck

Bruce

That's demasoni for you Peter. They are very aggressive.

What size tank are you keeping them in? Are they in with anything else?

I started with 15 juvies in a 3ft with 8 electric yellow juvies. They attacked each other and the demasoni were reduced to 7 fish, but the yellows were fine.

I moved these 7 into a 4ft tank with a heap of fry from other species. I added another 20 demasoni juvies to the group and never lost a fish. They began to breed and all was looking good. The fry of other species were fine too. On ocassion, there would have been 150 odd fish in the tank. There were a couple of tile caves in the tank, but otherwise it was bare.

Eventually they got to a size where they needed their own tank. They are in a 4x18x18 with 6 leleupi juvies. I originally had just a couple of rocks and two tile caves. All was good with lots of breeding. I decided to add a heap of rock to make it look nice and to see what would happen. I have 8 males in my colony, and now that they all had territory to defend, they began to attack each other again. I lost 2 fish. I removed most of the rock again, back to the few rocks and two caves. Everything is back to normal now and the fish are looking good and breeding again. The two larger males sit in the caves and the others float around with the females.

This has been my experience with them. Hope this helps.

Good luck

Bruce

I started off with 20 WC demasoni in a 4x2x2 for 6 months they were constantly fighting after six deaths I had enough and moved them to a 2x2x2(jail) after a week they started to spawn 2 years on there has been no more deaths and there is almost always is a female holding!

Archived