Importing of cichlids from overseas

fry_2_buy

Hello all,

After pondering this for a while and searching some government websites about importation rules I have been lost in how the process of importing fish from overseas actually works. Could someone explain how one would go about importing any type of cichlid. Also wanted to know how you actually find someone or a business that you import the fish from.

Sorry, didn't mention this earlier but when I mean importing a cichlid I was thinking of wildcaughts (f0) but I'm guessing its kinda similiar in principle anyways. Finally, what are the chances of the fish actually surviving their journey all the way down to oz, being so far away from both America and Africa?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

I don't think there's anyone on this forum who hasn't had similar thoughts and/or asked the same questions.

The short answer for most of us is; 'It's too hard.'

The fish has to be a permissible import. You will need a quarantine room, or access to one. I believe the exporter (the source of the fish) has to be approved or licensed by the Australian Government and the importer (you) may also require some form of import permits. All these things cost money and make importing prohibitive for the normal hobbyist.

There are aquarium shops around that import directly and they are worth approaching with your wish list. I know Aqua Pets at Bondi Junction has arranged shipments of Tangs and other fish from sources in Germany.

Good luck,

Lee.

Has anyone actually gone through this process to give help us all gain an understanding about how it should be done? I'm sure many people would be eager to find out (though may not like the expenses as mentioned by Lee)

I will attempt to write up the gist of what is involved later on, but it is something not feasible for the average person. I looked into it once and it was going to cost thousands of dollars just the get them on the plane!

What fish do you want and from what country? That is very important when it comes to cost.

Times have changed....

Cichlid club in Queensland imported a shipment of cichlids 35+ years ago

Tilapia, multispinossa, auratus, and a lot of other rare cichlids at the time....I was a teenager at the time

Look at a price list,pick what you want send the money and pick up boxes from the airport then distribute amongst the club members....easy!!

I also brought back rainbows from PNG as cabin baggage....now you can't carry any liquid in excess of 100ml let alone have fish in it.

My current understanding....and recent experience

You can only import fish from countries approved by AQIS

you need a registered compliant quarantine room....or access to one

and you need to be prepared to take a gamble....with a significant amount of money

finding a reliable exporter is trial and error....you can be lucky or very very unlucky all in the same shipment!

If you want f0 cichlids then Germany is the best source(Airfish???)....but you can't order half a dozen

It needs to be a big order....and cost lots of $$$$

The more fish you order the cheaper the freight/fish

I have bought several pair of f0 "wild" bettas off Aquabid from Indonesia via a local importer

(Betta uberis and Betta burdigala)

a pair bought for $30 end up costing $90 .....but it's still cheap for fish that whilst a legal import would never turn up in 99% of local fish shops....

Unfortunately most cichlids on AquaBid are in America and getting a pair to Australia doesn't work

This importer also found some rare South American dwarf cichlids for me(In Asia).....Dicrossus(Crenicara) maculata(cousin of filamentosa)...also a legal import....but the 12 that arrived were all males!!

I believe Bayfish do get in German shipments....it was great when you could look up their(Bayfish) website and see what they have.....but it seems that gave a lot of lfs owners the sh!T$ and they took the list off line.

Now you need to pester your lfs weekly for a look at the latest list(or steal their login !!)

It also pays to let people know what you want....I chased(on a number of forums) shelldwellers L similis for a long time.....someone got them and sent me a pm when they had some to sell....18 months after I'd given up!

there are a few importers going around and i have met some ppl who import, it was a big investment for them to do it and they all had been in the fish indusrty for a long time, if you want to just get a few fish i would approach either your good LFS to hit up aquarium indusrties or Bayfish, they have german cichlid genrally avaible you can also check out the airfish website, will give you a bit of an idea what is out there.

Hello all,

After pondering this for a while and searching some government websites about importation rules I have been lost in how the process of importing fish from overseas actually works. Could someone explain how one would go about importing any type of cichlid. Also wanted to know how you actually find someone or a business that you import the fish from.

Sorry, didn't mention this earlier but when I mean importing a cichlid I was thinking of wildcaughts (f0) but I'm guessing its kinda similiar in principle anyways. Finally, what are the chances of the fish actually surviving their journey all the way down to oz, being so far away from both America and Africa?

Thanks,

John

I am pretty sure that crystal palace can import overseas cichlids since they have a quarantine room

Archived