Question about tank dimensions

alobo

Hi All,

Returning to the hobby after a few years away. Have been checking out tanks and like the look of the AquaNova RH -120 [ 120(L) x 43.5(W) x 90(H) ]

I like the visual aspect of having the tank closer the eye level (previous tank was a 4ft standard for which I had to crouch down to get a good look at the fish)

My questions are:

1) Does anyone have any feedback on this tank? (I'm planning on running a canister along with the supplied filter)

2) Does anyone have any experience in cleaning a 90cm deep tank? I used to clean the glass on the previous tank by sticking my arm in with a dish sponge which won't be possible with this one.

Thanks in advance for your help. Planning on an mbuna tank btw, if this makes the height of the tank more/less relevant.

Ash

My display tank is a 6x2x2 with a hood on top, the hood probably adds 15cm to the total height so total height would be around 75cm. If I leave the hood on the tank and need to do any type of maintenance on the tank then I have to lean into the tank if I need to get to anything near the back of the tank. But then I end up doing an impersonation of that girl in the pet shop from deuce bigalow ;) and I'm on about 6 foot tall so if you're any shorter then it may be a real pain to even touch the bottom of the tank even at the front.

Hi All,

Returning to the hobby after a few years away. Have been checking out tanks and like the look of the AquaNova RH -120 [ 120(L) x 43.5(W) x 90(H) ]

I like the visual aspect of having the tank closer the eye level (previous tank was a 4ft standard for which I had to crouch down to get a good look at the fish)

My questions are:

1) Does anyone have any feedback on this tank? (I'm planning on running a canister along with the supplied filter)

2) Does anyone have any experience in cleaning a 90cm deep tank? I used to clean the glass on the previous tank by sticking my arm in with a dish sponge which won't be possible with this one.

Thanks in advance for your help. Planning on an mbuna tank btw, if this makes the height of the tank more/less relevant.

Ash

My big tank is over a meter deep. I use a "scoura" (non-scratching) on a telescopic stick (BigW). In addition, I have attached an old credit card to the end of a length of pvc to clean the glass. There is little to no drama involved in doing this. I usually use a small ladder to do it but then the top of the tank is over my head. In addition, I have organised as best I can to cause the light to NOT fall on the front glass. If the light produced from your aquarium light does not hit the front glass directly, this dramatically reduces algae growth there.

Great advice tx for starting the topic Ash. I've recently set up a 6 x 2 x2 and having ducks disease (bums too close to the ground) I cant reach down to the bottom of the front of the tank. Was thinking of getting some sort of steps but might try your ideas first, bit less dangerous for me as I dont fancy taking a head dive in with the fish.

That tank from memory is only 80cm from memory from base - top of glass. I think perhaps they have included the hood in that measurement, just like they include the hood in volume calculation.

First of all, for value aqua nova tanks are generally quite good. However my personal opinion is if you want a reliable tank setup, that is easy to maintain and will last 10+ years you want to spend the money on a custom aquarium that suits you perfectly.

Here is my review of Aqua Nova tanks; (Constructive critism)

The hood and lighting system is of poor quality.

- Often has scratches on top.

- Light reflectors rust as there is no cover for the globe - therefore light intensity is reduced quite significantly.

- Poor workmanship. I've seen several where they just hacksaw the internal parts if it was assembled wrong to ensure it opens (Small, but still frustating)

- Glass lids are often not the right sizes.

- The lids on the hoods on the larger tanks often get stuck slightly when being opened.

- Due to the design of the hood being so enclosed it is very hard for maintainance and if you ever need to take the hood off, you are required to dismantle th entire top filter unit.

Tank

Appears to be well made, however that said I can't say how long it lasts compared to a non curved front aquarium.

Filtration system

The general concept is great and it does work. However I do not like the top filter because they often cause water to very very very slowly drip down the back of the tank, which does leave salt residue when the water evaporates which is next to impossible to get off if left for too long.

Cabinet

Is assembled by the aquarium shop owners, whether they do a good job varies. It is very prone to swelling if any water spills on it which looks horrible and I imagine weakens it. (Which will happen if you use an Aqua Nova cannister filter :yes: )

I did mention it above but my main problem is the hood. It is where almost all the problems are because its very hard to stuff up cutting wood and assembling three pieces of glass together. I hate the fact it is so hard to take the hood off. I don't run the top filter units anymore, but it is still a pain in the backside removing it because I now run cannister and now the intake and out take pipes go through the hood. :shock:

I said on this forum a while back I will always buy aqua nova tanks, now I say I will never buy another. There are very few Aqua Nova products I would consider buying - I'll suggest something else - never buy their cannister filters! :thumb

To address your other question - it is quite easy to clean tanks of this height. Follow the method CThompson suggests.

The behaviour of mbuna or any fish in a higher tank (ie 90cm) is gobsmacking. It is very hard to explain but the territories of male cichlids is really from the bottom of the tank to about 60cm into the water column. Above that the fish form schools and swim near the top. It is an awsome sight seeing the dominant cichlids fighting it out on the bottom and then you look up and there are schools of cichlids swimming in perfect harmony. It is really something majority of people miss out on and probably the reason cichlids have the reputation of being so aggressive is because everyone believes that the ground area is so much more important then the height of the tank.

Thanks all, and especially mcloughlin2 for the detailed response.

You have a well made point regarding the hood, I'll have to take a better look at it and check whether it can be modified to reduce the hassle. (e.g. extending the circular opening to the base of the hood to allow it to be lifted off)

I was a little worried about the cabinet as well (I think it's chipboard). Considered painting all edges and exposed wood before assembly and then sealing it again with silicone or 'no more gaps' after.

Your comments on the filters are a little troubling. I've read a lot of feedback on the forums so far, and it's fair to say it's very polarised. Some people have had disasters and others are extremely happy. Are there any other brands you recommend? I used to have an Eheim but I'm not sure the price premium is worth it anymore.

Everyone is always very happy with Aqua Nova cannisters in the beginning - they are less then half the price of the equivilant eheim filter, come with all the media and do a decent job! However I wonder how many of the positive reviews are from about 5 years ago or are from people who have trialled the filter for at least six months?

The problems with the AN cannisters is this;

- The o-rings/seals wear down after 6 months.

- The head of the filter often fills with water which rusts the springs in the primer.

- The media that comes with it is not even 50% of the required amount for any efficient biological filtration.

The only filter I would recommend is eheim. They are the only ones that are reliable for any length of time. That said, lets hope that the quality does not suffer with the classic range now being produced in China and the other lines being only partly assembled in Germany.

For those who question my opinion on Aqua Nova products, it is not that I work for any opposing company, its just that I know they are for the most part poor quality and I do not want to see people ripped off like I myself have been.

(Anything I have said I have validated before with dozens of other examples.)

...2) Does anyone have any experience in cleaning a 90cm deep tank? I used to clean the glass on the previous tank by sticking my arm in with a dish sponge which won't be possible with this one...

I use the Hammerhead for my 2.5ft high tank. Worth every penny.

Magnet Cleaners

HTH.

Archived