Hang-on filter inside tank

Barracuda

Is it possible to have a hang-on filter inside the tank?

I bought one recently and just realised that it would not be suited to my tank, since i have lids and a hood.

How would you hang it on anyway? Would you have to get rid of the lids and hood? I would not have thought this the case, as it would seem quite impractical, also seeing that it is quite a popular method of filtration.

My one also has a surface skimmer - making it also a problem where it is necessary to have the water up to the full capacity, so for hospital tanks etc where i may not need that much water, the skimmer makes it impossible to use the hang on.

I also have internal filters, however i dont find these as handy as they do not have the capacity to hold filter media, eg bio balls/noodles/matrix etc that will allow them to seed bacteria faster (just had a major disaster where the internal filter apparently did not seed enough bacteria, resulted in an ammonia breakout killing my breeding angels). That is why i opted for the hang on, as it allows you to do this.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Sounds like you would be much better off using a typical cannister filter. They can't be faulted for adaptability and quality of filtration.

Maybe you could arrange an exchange with the place you bought the hang on filter from OR sell it and get yourself a cannister.

Each type of filtration has its own advantages and disadvantages which is what you are discovering. If you want to increase the filtering capacity of your internal filter then put it into a container and fill (bury) with your media of choice.

a hang on filter should be able to fit, i dont know what kind of hood you have, but if its a normal raw pine hood the back of the hood should have space, to put canister hose hang on filer etc, and if you have sliding lids just slide the lid over the front one

Archived