Tropheus not surviving

bob308

I a have 15 Tropheus (6 Bemba & 9 Duboisi) ranging from 3 to 6 cm. I keep losing one a week, I have had them for about 3 months and only in the last few weeks they have been dying of what I assume is bloat. I only feed them vegetarian flakes once a day.

This is puzzling because I have had a beautiful Moliro Red in my 6ft display tank since he was 3cm and now he is 8cm in the matter of about 4 months and he eats with the big boys Sera Flora at night and New Life Spectrum Cichlid formula in the mornings.

Please Help

are you sure its bloat could it be another problem what are all your measures

The larger fish are actually showing signs of a bloated stomach and just before I would lose 3-4cm Trophs they would stop eating then lose their colours after a day or two and then become listless and disorientated which would lead finally to death.

so on one fish would this be a short period of time or long?

the bloat on the larger fish has only started to occur in the last few days, one of them is pretty much on his way out I'm just concerned about the others which aren't that bad if there is anything that can be done for them.

What is the PH KH ammonia etc bloat is usually caused by poor water quality or poor dietry.

What brand foods (vegie flakes) are you feeding, also what was the shop/person feeding them before you picked them up.

More information is needed to help out

What is the PH KH ammonia etc bloat is usually caused by poor water quality or poor dietry.

What brand foods (vegie flakes) are you feeding, also what was the shop/person feeding them before you picked them up.

More information is needed to help out

PH is on 8 and there is minmal trace of Ammonia. I feed them Sera Flora flakes which is regarded as high grade and change 30% once a week of the tank water. The shop owners I have sourced them from are two reputable dealers. But who knows if neglect might have been the case, I wouldn't think so after having them for all most 4 months that it would be from the shop owners feeding.

It sounds like bloat. With just the information of ;

I keep losing one a week

So dose them for bloat – Clout or Metronidazole. Anyone who keeps T should have already purchased this.

Bloat is brought about by stress. There can be many triggers to stress.

Stop feeding Sera Flora and feed NLS exclusively. Change over gradually if you are only feeding Flora as your written English indicated. Though the person who makes NLS says that this is not needed when changing TO NLS.

This is not an issue to do with the shop or where they were purchased, but something you are doing or not doing.

You don't mention KH. If you are not using A) salts and B) KH generator this could be the stress origin. Sydney tap water has zero KH.

You don't mention tank size nor what other fish (if any) are with the Tropheus. If you have them crowded with say mbuna (not that I think you do), this could be a stress.

There should be NO ammonia. The fact you have some indicates that there maybe/is a problem with the cycling. This could be the stress origin.

Tropheus are very hardy fish, but there one Achille's heal is that of bloat. Avoid what causes them stress = avoid bloat and you have a fish that stays active and healthy while fish around the die.

Craig

i had a similar experience3 with my colony of chimps a awhile back and they were a well established colony..and out of the blue they started dropping off one by one..i hadnt done anything different and i used all the meds that was available for tropheus..but it was the last one tetracycline that did it..

make sure you check your water and its parrameters like the above posts..and see what and if is stressing them,and give them the appriate meds..if it is bloat they will have the white stringy poo,as well..the treatment normally is cloat,and some also use a antibacterial with it,depending on what the fish has,,hope all goes well with the rest of yr fish..

Archived