wasting in cyprichromis

killiguy

Hi All

I have 18 or so small Cyprichronis leptostoma mpulungu and have noticed that at times 1 or 2 will begin to waste away and die esp just after a move.I have not actively treated this as I am not sure of its nature.The breeder of the fish mentioned it was common but he didnt treat it another commercial cichlid breeder suggested metronidazole.What are other peoples expiences of wasting disease esp in this species?? Is it mycobacterium or an intestinal paracyte.I would be suprised if it were Gram -ve or +ve bacteria given its slow onset. Please advise

Ive had good results treating this condition using frozen brine shrimp medicated with praziquantel, reptile worm-rid (from memory this contains a praziquantel and fenbendazole) and metronidazole.

Thanks

Matt

Thank you Craig.I have praziquanel and will catch the offenders and treat down paracyte lines.That thread was a few years ago any update on your experience??

I am very pleased to say, I have nothing to add regarding an update to my experience :lol4::thumbup:

I can say, if left untreated, they will die. So you have nothing to lose, it's a kill or cure situation. Culling obviously effected fish will NOT help, so don't go down that path.

I haven't read the link for years, but in case I didn't say; when dosing food, any food, provided it goes in their mouth is okay to use. The more enticement to swallow the better = live food is better than non-live food. The caveat here is that it is harder to medicate live food. I used wrigglers and NLS put through a pepper grinder to make it quite small (thinking the smaller it is the more likely it will get to the stomach). With practice you can add proportionally enough food to water that the medication can be swirled and once mixed the water soaks into the food (thinking that the medication that has completely dissolved will also soak in). Any particles that are stuck to the outside of food will/may come off once in mouth and get to stomach, or the food may go down without their noticing. I kept on dosing until a few weeks AFTER all fish were normal and it has NEVER come back again.

Best thing to do is not buy affected fish and to not let the fish in your tanks get it. How do they get it? With Cyprichromis my thinking of the last few years is that it may be temperature related. Prolonged temperatures over...30-32 degrees may be a catalyst, like changing foods with Tropheus can bring on bloat. How prolonged? I don't let my tanks get above 30 degrees and all things being equal I aim for a temp of 22.

The medicine man at Bay fish wholesalers suggested Dimetronidazol 1/2 tsp of powder per 100 L repeated in 2 days then again in a week or so depending on response.Very simple Rx I hope it works.III keep you posted.I still have praziquantel up my sleave

The medicine man at Bay fish wholesalers suggested Dimetronidazol 1/2 tsp of powder per 100 L repeated in 2 days then again in a week or so depending on response.Very simple Rx I hope it works.III keep you posted.I still have praziquantel up my sleave

you have 50% chance!

have a read at this one below...the site have had heaps of the articles for those interested...it had help me and i hope it will help others!

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM077

Interesting site.The whole area of fish disease and treatment is a confusing mess.The TFH book on disease in fish by Untergasser is very confusing and rarely of assistance.I wish someone would write a good book,It all seems to be trial and error.As a medical professional I find it all very frustrating.Maybe it would help if fish could talk????

Whilst slightly irrelevant I will add that after a recent tank decor re-arrangment I had nearly every female (11) in my established breeding colony go off their food for several weeks and to my horror develop wasting symptoms, however nearly all have begun taking frozen baby brine shrimp and are slowly regaining condition. Therefore it may be concluded that stress alone may in fact be a trigger for the onset of loss of appetite and the subsequent development of waste-like symptoms.

I dont think that observation is irrelvant at all.Several people I have spoken to says it usually happens after a move.We know stress(to which these fish seem paricularly prone)causes alteration in immune system and a period of stress induced fasting would also predispose to disease or reactivation of a dormant one.Ive had 1 person comment on C furcifer that 1 tank move to allow growth caused all the fish to die from a similar mechanism

Archived