increasing flow to my rack

Robbo2232

Hello Friends,

I have finally set up my 4 4x18x18 tanks, it has a 20mm stand pipe glued in to it and its making a lot of noise when its drawing air in to the stand pipe.

I was going to ad a durso but the intake would be aiming into the tank and fry cloud get sucked up.

also i feel that i am not getting enough filter turn over, this is a second hand system and the 20mm standpipes are glued in, any one know of any tricks to help the flow?

Thanks

Rob

Hello Friends,

I have finally set up my 4 4x18x18 tanks, it has a 20mm stand pipe glued in to it and its making a lot of noise when its drawing air in to the stand pipe.

I was going to ad a durso but the intake would be aiming into the tank and fry cloud get sucked up.

also i feel that i am not getting enough filter turn over, this is a second hand system and the 20mm standpipes are glued in, any one know of any tricks to help the flow?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

If you haven't already stocked your tanks then I would recommend pulling the system apart again and drilling bigger holes. I know it's not something you want to hear but 20mm is just too small for 4x18x18 tank.

As an example I have 20mm on 18inch tanks and plan on increasing this too 25mm as I'm just not getting enough water turn over.

In the next few weeks I should have my rack finally ready that holds 6 4x18x18 and 3 3x18x18 and I've used 40mm holes in these.

You should use spirel hose to increase the flow of the water, however due to the costs I would recommend re-drilling if at all possible.

However someone may have a better idea than me. Just a thought

edited

Maybe you could even drill a 2nd or third hole in each tank which would be a lot easier than redrilling your current hole.

the hole it self is 25mm but the previous owner glued the stand pipe inside rather than outside the fitting thus reducing the size, i can cut the standpipe off and slide a bigger one on but it would still create a bottle neck at the bottom so i don't know if that's going to help.

Edit

Like this

IPB Image

• 8 months later...

*sigh* political correctness is taking over again.

When I saw a subject line "increasing flow to my rack" I was so sure there'd be a response recommending something here along the lines of "try taking yer top off!"

:lol3:

*sigh* political correctness is taking over again.

When I saw a subject line "increasing flow to my rack" I was so sure there'd be a response recommending something here along the lines of "try taking yer top off!"

:lol3:

:lol4::thumbup:

Hi Rob,

Looks like previous owner did some short cuts and the $$$ too.

Like orangebemba has said. If you could redrill to 40mm this would solve your problem

cheers

thats an understatement :)..... i would strip and re-drill just for aesthetics....

but in saying that i wonder if they will be leak proof the way they are? possible to get a photo of the other side?

Hello Friends,

Thanks

Rob

2nd hand tanks have the advantage of being cheaper, but the disadvantage of carry the past baggage of bad design.

In your case, I would remove the fittings, and silicone a glass plate to both sides and seal the hole. I would then drill appropriate sized holes in a different location, and fit bulkhead fittings.

Regarding the noise and fry/Durso question; fit a strainer to the Durso, make one from Aqasonic's cylindrical mesh with a plumbing cap to close the end.

Archived