BN's as algae eaters

Out of Africa

Hey all,

I am considering buying some common bristlenose cats for my planted discus tank to clean up my anubias of brown and a bit of beard algae. I keep reading different views and oppinions on how effective bn's are at algae control ! Some say they are amazing others say they eat leaves and others recommend ottos .

Can I have some REAL life experiences shared on people who have them and on how good they really are???

Thanks,

Rob :raisehand:

Rob, they are great with planted tanks although with your fish(Discus) I would get medium-larger BN as they will make mince of smaller ones as I myself breed discus & know all about this first hand.

Regards

Ahmed ;)

Rob, they are great with planted tanks although with your fish(Discus) I would get medium-larger BN as they will make mince of smaller ones as I myself breed discus & know all about this first hand.

Regards

Ahmed ;)

Thanks Ahmed , I didn't think my discus would bother them , Angels on the other hand! It did cross my mind though as my largest discus is 15cms , I just thought bns were too fast and can hide from them in need. Thanks for the tip though! now I need a bn breeder!

I know it's a bit different, but I put my 7cm Gibby in my 4x2x2 that had a considerable amount of algae on the glass, and overnight, it was spotless!

Thanks mate, I love gibbys but they grow too big and are too messy !

• 1 month later...

Hi mate,

I used to have a 4ft planted tank and I found a mixture of BN (3) and Siamese algae eaters (2) kept the tank perfectly clean. The SAEs were good for cleaning algea off small leaves which the BN couldn't do.

Didn't have discus so don't know about compatibility issues.

Ash

Archived